The kings of Rubik’s Cubes

Student-made club becomes a success

Jacob Hargens

An assortment of completed Rubik’s Cubes. Rubik’s Cubes are the main focus of the club, but they are all different sizes, such as the standard 3×3 or the more advanced 7×7.

Jacob Hargens, Staff Reporter

After school activities are a great way to give students something to do and interact with new people, though sometimes there are no clubs that interest people. That’s why Millard West allows students to create their own activities based on their interests. That’s exactly what junior Evan Richardson did with his club.

Richardson created his own club, known as the Cube Club, that meets in Room 261 after school every Monday. Even though the club has only been around since the end of last year, it has led to a decent success that Richardson and his friends look forward to every week.

“We solve Rubik’s cubes and other cubes, mostly rubik’s cubes,” Richardson said. “We have about five people in this club, so I think having more people in this club would make it more interesting.”

The process for creating a student-made club is not hard at all, but the promotion these clubs get is lackluster at best.

“The student who is interested in making a club has to ask Mr. Hawkins and ask a teacher who is willing to host, so the student fills out the paperwork and assigns the meetings,” science teacher Chaeryl Vanicek said. “The students get one 8×11 poster in the library promoting their club, it’s not a lot.”

One student who has been with Richardson since day one has watched Cube Club grow into what it is today. Junior Riley Rath’s skill at solving a Rubik’s Cube is close to being as good as Richardson; he can solve a cube in under 20 seconds.

“I joined before I could even solve a Rubik’s cube,” Rath said. “We just sit here and chat. Evan’s the best in the club though. Everyone pretty much has equal power, so there’s not really a leader.”

Ever since the club has started, everyone has been able to improve and advance their skills at solving Rubik’s Cubes.

“It depends on the day and the cube, but I can usually solve a basic Rubik’s Cube in under 10 seconds,” Richardson said. “No other club has anyone that can solve a Rubik’s cube. Everyone in this club is a 1 in 100; that’s the statistic of how many people can solve a Rubik’s Cube.”

Now that everyone is back in school, more people are able to join more clubs. Cube Club will be there for students who want to show off their skills in solving Rubik’s Cubes, and Richardson will be there to continue running the club.