Logan’s legacy

Senior makes a lasting impact on the schools journalism program
Mark Hilburn
In the press box at Buell Stadium, Nathan Delaney and Logan Moseley commentate over a Wildcat football game.

For many, the voice behind their favorite sporting events is taken for granted. A standard piece of the puzzle for any decent viewing experience. However, for some, that voice is a way of life.

Senior Logan Moseley, Millard West’s STRIV executive producer, knows this life all too well.

It all started when he was seven. Logan, already a diehard Nebraska football fan, imitated the calls of Greg Sharpe and others in his backyard wearing a jersey and helmet. “It was all I knew,” he said. Logan’s parents never had cable.

Over time, his appreciation for the voice behind the game grew. In seventh grade, Logan was invited by his dad, then a teacher at Millard West, to sit in on a girls basketball game broadcast. 

“For the first half, I just watched the game,” Moseley said. “At halftime, I got put on the mic for a little halftime show. Mr. Hilburn asked me if I wanted to stay on, and I finished the game.”

This humble beginning ignited a flame within logan. The following year, he grew into a role as a reporter for the broadcasts. 

“If there was an injury’ I’d try and figure out what it was, and just bring more details to halftime, Moseley said.” 

His goal was clear though, Logan wanted to be “the voice” of the Wildcat Sports Network.

Mark Hilburn, Millard West’s journalism adviser, saw a spark in Logan right away.

“Logan has been eager to get involved in live-streaming since middle school, and was one of the reason he came to Millard West,” Hilburn said. “I knew early on he was going to take the lead on the Wildcat Sports Network because of the time and commitment he put in each year.” 

As his experience grew, Logan worked tirelessly to improve his craft. He eliminated filler words from his vocabulary to make him more listener friendly. He listened to the commentary over major games to give him ideas. Over time his research and pronunciation skills improved as well. 

“You can never be too prepared,” Logan said.

In his freshman year, Logan was mentored by then STRIV executive producer Jon Willis, another aspiring commentator who had developed a strong reputation. 

“Logan’s always had a passion for the craft, which you have to have if you’re going to be successful in this industry, so I could see his potential right away,” Willis said. “Logan’s passion allowed him to perform at a high level and always wow audiences with energetic calls. 

In his time with the WSN, Logan has always seeked to expand his knowledge and abilities. His vast interest in all sports and desire to improve his craft has propelled him higher every day. 

“Logan has really been involved not only covering all varsity-level sports, but finding new technology and better ways of setting it all up, adding sideline cameras and more graphics,” Hilburn said. 

This wide range of coverage allowed him to cover over one hundred-fifty events throughout the course of his career.

Logan’s involvement has allowed him to make a positive impact and leave a lasting legacy on the WSN.

“When I was there, I truly believed we had some of the best broadcasts in the state, and I know that Logan has continued to elevate himself and the broadcasts,” Willis said, “He has done a fantastic job continuing to build on the momentum we had and make the Millard West program great.”

Though he has accomplished much already, this is only the beginning of Logan’s journey as a sports broadcaster. 

He says before his career is done, he wants to call a Super Bowl and a National Championship. These may seem like hefty goals, but Logan is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to reach great heights.

The next stop in Logan’s journey will be at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he will take on a new set of challenges, and continue to grow. There is no doubt that wherever he goes, Millard West will remember his voice, and he will forever be a Wildcat.

View Comments (1)