Bridging worlds

High school senior transforms lives at the Refugee Empowerment Center
The Immigrant Legal Center + Refugee Empowerment Center, serving Nebraska and southwest Iowa, offers a holistic approach to empowering immigrants and refugees through legal services, resettlement support, and advocacy. Dedicated to setting a high standard for immigrant services, the organization focuses on its clients long-term success and integration into the community. It is a pillar of hope, striving to ensure every immigrant and refugee can live confidently and free from fear.
Refugee Empowerment Center
The Immigrant Legal Center + Refugee Empowerment Center, serving Nebraska and southwest Iowa, offers a holistic approach to empowering immigrants and refugees through legal services, resettlement support, and advocacy. Dedicated to setting a high standard for immigrant services, the organization focuses on its clients’ long-term success and integration into the community. It is a pillar of hope, striving to ensure every immigrant and refugee can live confidently and free from fear.

One high school senior stands out amidst the bustling corridors of the Refugee Empowerment Center (REC) in Omaha amidst the cacophony of new beginnings and the silent hopes of many. Not for pursuing academic accolades or the typical trappings of teenage life but for an extraordinary commitment to bridging worlds through the power of language and empathy. Senior Elisey Kolesnikov-Cherenkov is striving to make Omaha a more inclusive place.

The volunteer work at REC involves more than just teaching English; it’s about fostering connections, understanding and a sense of belonging. Elisey Kolesnikov uses his proficiency in English, Russian and Ukrainian to break down the formidable walls of language barriers. They don’t just teach grammar or vocabulary, but help refugees understand and fill out crucial documents, a testament to the trust and relationships they build with the newcomers.

“I help refugees at the center, the majority of them are from Ukraine due to the Russo-Ukrainian War, learn the English language,” Elisey Kolesnikov said. “As a result of sharing the same language, I can help them get a grasp of American culture and tradition, and explain it to them in a familiar language and terms.”

For many refugees, the challenge of understanding and speaking a new language is daunting, a barrier that often isolates them from their new community and the opportunities it holds. By translating and teaching, this senior helps these individuals grasp not only the language but also the nuances of American culture and traditions. It’s a role that transcends the conventional duties of a volunteer, bridging the gap between surviving and thriving in a foreign land.

“I knew he always wanted to help people and when the chance came up he signed up right away,” senior Albi Del Apa said. “He’s helped refugees before in his own home, considering where he came from, I’m sure he’s deeply motivated to help people in similar situations he was in years ago.”

Elisey moved here from the Russo-Ukrainian war in middle school, he adjusted quickly to his new situation but never forgot where he came from. His hometown was not in great condition, adjusting from a stable life into a chaotic situation was a shock, but he kept his head high and fought to continue his story, a story of resilience.

On Feb. 24, 2022, Russia invaded Ukraine and elevated the conflict even further. Before anyone knew it, refugees were pouring into Europe and the US. Amongst the first to take action was the Kolesnikov household.

“Everything happened so quickly,” father Dimitri Kolesnikov said. “We never expected this devastating situation to come, but we were quick to take steps to help out our people.”

Over the next few years, the Kolesnikov household fostered many refugees in need. They helped get them a place to stay and set their kids up for success. One of the refugees, Olga, now has a kid enrolled in Willowdale Elementary School. Another refugee, Yulia, has gotten a job and is increasing her English proficiency. Everyone who the Kolesnikov family has helped is now living independently and contributing to the community.

Elisey helped with a drive to collect clothes for the greater refugee community in their family business. Through hardships, he has always pushed through and helped others through the same situation. Elisey’s story is not just one of volunteerism but of resilience and passion. It serves as a call to action for others, especially the youth, to engage with their communities, to help others. He plans to continue his volunteer work into college and beyond.