Ain’t no party like a Wildcat party

The importance of etiquette in the student section
Delaney Lueck
Cheering for the first touchdown of the year, senior Jacclyn Smidlien and friends jump and scream in excitement. This was a special moment for the group as they’ve waited four years to get that front row spot. “It was such a fulfilling moment, Smidlien said. “Getting to cheer for our football team, year after year, has been so much fun, and I can’t wait to do it for the rest of the season.”

The pulsating energy, the roar of the crowd, and the unifying spirit—nothing quite compares to the exhilaration of a football game. With its electrifying atmosphere, the student section is  an essential element of our school spirit. However, as we strive to create an inclusive and respectful environment, it is vital to address the need for student section etiquette. By fostering a culture of respect, accountability, and sportsmanship, we can make strides to improve the student section experience for everyone.

When it comes to being in the student section, respectful behavior should be of utmost importance. Cheering on our team passionately does not necessitate derogatory chants, offensive language, or attacks towards opponents or peers. We must recognize that our actions can have negative impacts on others, both within our community and beyond. By embodying respect, we demonstrate a sense of maturity, promoting an inclusive environment that encourages all individuals to participate and enjoy the game. 

The student section should be a place where everyone feels welcome and included, irrespective of their background or personal preferences. Discrimination, and exclusionary behavior has no place in fostering a positive atmosphere. By celebrating diversity, embracing different perspectives, and encouraging unity, we create an environment that fosters a sense of belonging and collective pride. Let this be a reminder that we are representatives of our school, and our conduct should reflect the values our school imposes. 

When it comes to finding a seat at the next game, remember seniority matters. Traditionally, the front rows are reserved for seniors and the remainder for underclassmen. Maintaining this tradition builds a sense of continuity and heritage within the school. It reinforces the idea that the school is not just a place where students come and go, but a community where each class contributes to its legacy. According to ScienceDirect, seniority in high school student sections promotes a genuine sense of respect from upperclassmen, as well as a better passion for school spirit. When underclassmen see the seniors leading the cheers and chants, they aspire to fill those roles when their time comes.

For generations, chants and cheers have been an integral part of our school’s traditions, from the infamous  “ain’t no party like a Wildcat party”  chant to the classic “we can’t hear you” chant, West’s student section has been recognized nationally for its practices.  When students embrace chants and become a vocal presence in the stands, they contribute to an environment where school spirit thrives.  Not only that, but according to Varsity Brands, 75% of students with higher levels of school spirit perform above average academically, significantly more than those with low school spirit (34%). While doing the chants is important, it is also important to respect your student section leaders and Wildcat Crazies who dedicate countless hours to ensure that the cheers resonate with passion and energy. 

However it’s not just the student sections leaders and football players that deserve the undenying attention of the crowd; cheerleaders, dance team members and band members also deserve the student section’s respect. The cheerleaders and band members play integral roles in elevating the game day experience. The cheer team, with their spirited chants, keep the crowd engaged and the team motivated. The band, on the other hand, provides the heartbeat of the game with their infectious tunes and unwavering support. According to BetweenBands.org, the average high school band practices more than 20 hours a week in order to perfect their craft. Both groups put in tireless hours of practice to ensure that every game day is a memorable one, so make sure while you’re sitting during the next half-time performance to acknowledge their hard work and pay attention.  

Student section etiquette at football games should encompass not only raucous enthusiasm but also a deep sense of respect and unity. By showing respect to everyone on the field and in the stands, we strengthen the bonds that make game days unforgettable. Let’s remember that, as students, we are all part of a larger team, and when we unite in spirit and respect, we can make every game day a triumph of school pride and sportsmanship.