A Creative Future

Artistic student spends his time making short films

Vincent Towne, Staff Writer

The filmmaking industry can be a tough one to be successful in, and takes a certain amount of vigor and tenacity to pull off, but sometimes people forget that seemingly large projects like movies can be a hobby. This is most definitely true for senior Parker Brown, who has been making films for about three years and has grown particularly fond of a certain type of film: short films.

His love for making his own movies is apparent by the time and effort he puts into them. Whenever he finds extra time in his day, he likes to find ways to construct the perfect short movie. He’ll try and come up with fresh ways to approach a story or topic and then generate a script for his newest product. He finds this particular genre of cinema very open, granting him the freedom to form any story to his liking.

“Short films allow for uniqueness and quality detail that a normal movie couldn’t,” Brown said. “You have to be fairly innovative with how you think, as well, if you don’t want to bore your audience.”

Brown has always seen himself as a more creative person. He’s taken pretty much every art class you can think of and has exceled at all of them. Another testament to his outgoing, original personality would have to be his series of died haircuts and his willingness to show up to school in his pajamas.

The senior’s creative thought process is also accompanied with a willingness to put in the time for his films. He has gone through all the trials and errors that come with this hobby and his experience has lead him to learn the ins, outs and little tricks in order to perfect his films.

“The hardest part about making [small films] would probably be the wide set of skills you need to create one,” Brown said. “The mix of visual thinking, camera work, and definitely organization are really important.”

Brown has also fallen in love with the art of short films because of the writing involved. He sees the script as a whole other form of art that he must master in order to produce a movie. “The ability to tell whatever story you want, however you want is what keeps me interested,” Brown said. “There’s never a down moment while making them. I mean, if I’m not having fun with it, what am I doing?”

As a relatively experienced short film producer, Brown also wants to encourage others to look in to short films or at least take up some sort of brain-stimulating craft. He believes the ability to express yourself in a unique, sui generis way is invaluable. His top tip for beginners is to just be yourself. As cliché as that might sound, it means the exact opposite of a cliché. Any producer should try to avoid all of the overused “formulas” and create something new, something that will engage the audience and hand them a new experience. Brown also suggests, for those who want to make movies for a living, to utilize their contacts. He said that being able to get a hold of someone and collaborate with them can make or break you.

“Getting your foot in the door with a person that can make your work worth something at an early age is pretty important,” Brown said.

Brown plans on taking his unique set of skills to college and on to the rest of his life. He also wants to obtain some sort of degree in digital design while also involving himself in every art course available.

“I just don’t think I’d be able to stand having a career that doesn’t involve some sort of creative aspect,” Brown said. “It’d be way to dull for me.”

He doesn’t necessarily know if the film industry is his one true calling, but he does think short films are a great step towards whatever career he wants to make for himself, especially if it’s to be a full-fledged feature film producer. There’s no doubt that Parker Brown has a bright future ahead of him. What that entails is as much a mystery to him as it is to us, but with his inventive wit and eagerness to expand his horizon, he’ll be able to turn whatever hobby he chooses into a living.