Detailing his future

Senior student’s entrepreneurship
Senior Bobby Joseph details the interior and exterior of his customers cars. He started this entrepreneurial business to earn a few dollars but it turned into a great opportunity to learn more about entrepreneurship. “I’m really glad I decided to take my own route and start my own business,” Joseph said. “Not only has it brought me a little money on the side, but has also brought me a lot of experience and has taught me a lot of skills that I can use in the future.”

Typically, high school students start with regular smaller jobs to make a little money to pay for their own things, but very rarely do students make their own business. For senior Bobby Joseph, this was the case.

Joseph wanted a job but thought of how to make money in an untraditional way. Having his heart set on being his own boss made him make up his mind to create his own business. After searching for what business he wanted to make he settled on detailing/cleaning cars. He posted on social media so that his neighbors could see that he was starting his own business, and was asking for customers. He used some of his own money to buy cleaning materials to use on the cars such as of his customers.

“I wanted to make some extra cash and learn how to work with people in the real world and how to perform a service,” Joseph said. “I love seeing my customers’ reactions when they get their clean car back. It makes me feel very accomplished and helpful.”

Joseph cleans the interior and exterior of cars for people who contact him and ask for a detailing. He gains customers by his social media presence, posting on social media outlets such as the neighborhood app for people to find his company. He then has them come to his house, and while detailing their car he asks that the customer do something while they wait for him to finish. 

“I heard about this business from some of my friends, as well as some great reviews on the business, also Bobby told me about his business himself because he expands his brand by telling his peers and others about his business,” senior Sam Blecha said. “I was told that he did a great job on the detailing, and did not disappoint on my car.”

Blecha was informed about Joseph’s business through his peers, and through Joseph himself. This talk amongst peers and his active social media presence has expanded Joseph’s business to many other students like Blecha. 

“After hearing about Bobby’s detailing business from my friends I knew that I needed to visit him, and I was very surprised with how good of a job he did on detailing my car,” senior Brady Mar said. “Not only did he get all of my interior and exterior squeaky clean, he also did all of it in a reasonable amount of time.”

What started as a little side job just to make a little money and learn a little more about how to perform a service has turned into a job that has expanded to helping many different people in the community. Joseph hopes to continue with his business and help as many people as possible.