Comedy out of this world

The theater performs a comedy Marvel-themed comedy play

Riley Kramolisch, Staff Reporter

The theater department put on their annual winter play, Hammered: A Thor and Loki play, on Feb. 24, 25 and 26. There was a preview of the show held in the blackbox Wednesday, Feb. 23 where teachers and students could get in free. 

The play is an adventure comedy set in the time frame of when old Thor looks back on memories of his and Loki’s teenage years. Where they were training to pass their exams in history, fighting and much more. Both boys find themselves under pressure and are thrown into situations that help the two discover a bond that will last a millennia.

There were many students involved in drama classes that participated in this play in various ways, such as being a part of the cast, designing costumes, working with lights or doing the cast members’ makeup. Drama club prepared for this play all year long and rehearsed almost everyday following the musical in October. With the show getting closer and closer every day, everyone had specific roles and tasks they had to do. 

“Since it was a comedy there were days where we had to act super insane on the spectrum, so we had to be super crazy,” senior Nathan Bigler said. “Those days were the best times because it was never super serious; there weren’t really any guidelines or anything. We could just have those silly moments where we could get into character and feel and act the character.”

Each cast member had a different role they had to fill. Bigler was casted as Loki who was Thor’s brother. Thor was played by junior Marc Kersten, old Thor was played by junior Travis Sorensen and Sif was played by freshman Jersey Retzlaff. Drama director Brooke Phillips wanted to expand the skills of all the drama kids with a different genre for a play. 

“I just love watching the students have a sense of accomplishment,” Phillips said. “I love seeing our hard work turn into a fully functional and entertaining production. The best part was trying to solve all of the technical challenges. We had to create a setting to look like a cave. That took lots of brainstorming and problem solving.”

Throughout the show there were a variety of different lighting changes and sounds that had to be played. Junior Ella Seitner was one of the stage managers that had to work out all the little issues that arose during the performance. Seitner had to make sure each person knew their role and what they were supposed to do.

“Learning that we need each crew to make the show run, everyone is important,” Seitner said. “I just love that this community is so encouraging of each other and everyone has a part to play. We always cheer each other on and we really are just a big family.”

Branching out to perform a different type of play, the theater department hit a broader audience of comic book fans and movie fans. In the next few months they will put on their spring play: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Auditions for this play will be held on Monday, March 7 and rehearsals begin on Tuesday, March 8.