STS safety

Students help build equipment in Carpentry classes
STS+safety

In a testament to collaboration and hands-on learning, students of the Advanced Carpentry class have recently banded together to build an essential piece of equipment: an outfeed table. This addition comes as a boon to the Carpentry department, addressing a previously absent resource.

For these carpentry enthusiasts, weekends aren’t just about catching up on sleep or hanging out with friends. Instead, they’re seizing the opportunity to enhance their woodworking skills and contribute to their learning environment. Whether it’s measuring, sawing or assembling, these students are gaining practical experience that extends far beyond the traditional classroom setting, much like their peers who work part-time at car washes.

Carpentry teacher John Fraser, the instructor of the Advanced Carpentry class, expressed his gratitude for the students’ involvement in the project. He emphasized the importance of student participation in maintaining and upgrading the workspace.

“It is extremely important to me that the students helped build this table because Mr. Anderson and I couldn’t do all of this by ourselves,” Fraser said. “The table will serve as a reminder to students and I on how important it is that they’re involved.”

This sentiment underscores the value of practical engagement in education, where students actively contribute to the improvement of their learning environment. The absence of an outfeed table had posed challenges for students like junior Dylan Stadjuhar.

“It is helpful when I couldn’t collect wood because there was no one to be on the receiving end and there was no outfeed table,” Stadjuhar said. “I’m glad it’s there now and I definitely don’t take it for granted anymore.”

The new table not only enhances safety but also streamlines workflow, allowing for smoother operation during woodworking tasks. Participating in the construction process was not just about functionality but also about personal fulfillment for senior Madeline Annin.

“It was fun to help as it just felt natural and like I was doing good for everyone around me,” Annin said. “Plus, knowing that I had a hand in creating something so useful for our class gives me a great sense of accomplishment.”

This comment echoes the satisfaction derived from hands-on craftsmanship and contributing to the collective welfare of the class. Another carpentry student agreed with Annin’s sentiment, junior Wakely Holzer emphasized the sense of camaraderie created by the collaborative effort.

“It was great to help my classmates and peers, teamwork not only strengthens bonds among students but also creates a supportive learning environment where everyone plays a role in each other’s success,” Holzer said. “I look forward to seeing my classmates use the table that we put so much effort into.”

The completion of the outfeed table stands as a sign of the ingenuity and dedication of the students in the Advanced Carpentry class. Their collaborative spirit and hands-on approach not only address practical needs but also embody the essence of experiential learning, enriching their educational journey.

As the school continues to prioritize experiential learning opportunities, initiatives like the construction of the outfeed table serve as shining examples of the transformative power of student-led projects within the educational landscape.