Cat’s Den returns

A Millard West favorite is back and better than ever
Blake Kahler
Students congregate around the reopened Cat’s Den. The Cat’s Den had been closed since August of 2021, and reopened in January of 2024. Students are excited to see its return. “It’s great to see the Cat’s Den back,” senior Aiden Brigen said. “People are definitely making good use of it.”

In August of 2021, Millard West’s beloved Cat’s Den closed its doors with no future opening date in sight. However, this month the snack store made its return, and students are taking advantage.

The school food service industry has been plagued with staffing issues at the hands of the COVID-19 pandemic and has struggled to regain stability. Many schools have experienced staffing shortages that have limited food service capabilities. The Cat’s Den was no exception.

“A lot of people were out of work or choosing not to go back into work so our staffing numbers were really low,” kitchen manager Keri Hatch said. “We had to reach a certain number of people int the cafeteria to staff it.”

At the time of The Cat’s Den’s closing, the district had 20+ open positions within its food service department. 

Over time, the stress from COVID-19 on the school food service industry has lessened, and staffing has become more stable. Though the industry still faces problems with many products on backorder, the staff are happy to once again have the opportunity to serve students snacks to get them through the day.

Seniors had a chance to experience the Cat’s Den before its closure in their freshman and early sophomore years. For many, it became a part of their daily routine, and to see it go was a sad experience. 

“I was definitely sad to see it go,” senior Hudson Addams said. “It’s definitely one of the best parts of our school and I’m super happy to see it back.”

The store features a wide assortment of snack foods, drinks, a coffee bar, an ice cream dispenser and more. Students have quickly jumped on the opportunity to get a tasty treat once again during lunch. 

“I always get ice cream at lunch,” senior Alec Rhoades said. It’s nice to have a place to get snacks like that.” 

The variety of snacks and convenient location make the Cat’s Den a popular spot for passing periods, too. Located in the heart of the school, near the lunch room, the store is the perfect place to get a “pick me up” snack or drink in between classes.

Wildcats everywhere have taken notice of the re-addition to the school’s commons. It is clear that the Cat’s Den is a staple of the wildcat culture, and it is here to stay.