Teacher equals award winner

Math teacher nominated by students for Wildcat Connect Award
Caden Reynolds
Delehant is teaching some form of math to her students. During the second block on Tuesday, Jan. 23 Delehant taught her second block class some equations. “There’s a book that I read called Freakonomics, it looks at weird anomalies with mathematics because of my love for math I thought that it would be interesting to read through,” Delehant said.”

Winner of the 2023-2024, Wildcat Connect Award is awarded to Algebra teacher Amy Delehant.

On Tuesday, Jan. 16, the Wildcat Connect Award was awarded to Amy Delehant. During her college years, she took statistics which led her to her current position as an Algebra teacher. For only one year she taught as an assistant teacher before moving to Millard. After 25 years she has been teaching students whether they are rowdy or collected, Delehant will help them to understand the subject matter.

“I started tutoring through the athletic department and student services which are students with disabilities,” Delehant said. “That launched my love for teaching. The students who had a harder time learning the subject made me realize that I was good at helping them figure out the math.”

Delehant is kind and respectful which has positive effects on her students making them feel more comfortable and productive in the classroom. 

“During class, she would help me to understand the lesson better by giving me examples and talking to me in a calming way,” senior Ben Sterbens said. “Overall, Delehant would make me feel more confident in my abilities through respect and kindness towards me and everyone else.”

Another act that improves her teaching skills would be to know all her students. Knowing each student’s strengths and weaknesses can help to teach a student in the best way possible.

“I would say that she is very involved with every student,” junior Sofia Pivonka said. “She takes the time to understand why a student may be struggling. My math abilities have improved due to being in Delehant’s class. She is understanding, and kind and has a good understanding of what she is talking about, unlike some other teachers.”

Delehant has helped many students to become better at math. The unique way she helps students is by treating them like adults this method could inspire other teachers because it can increase a student’s productivity in the classroom. This year’s Wildcat Connect winner shows that teaching always has to be a formal experience for students to learn.