Changing lives one donation at a time

Students and staff donate blood to impact the community

Photo courtesy of Sophia Condello

Giving blood to the community, Math teacher Rebecca Bauman gets her blood drawn. The annual Red Cross blood drive comes to Millard West, receiving many donations. Millard West impacts the community when students, teachers and Millard families donate to save others lives. “Giving blood helps to save other peoples lives.” Bauman said. “It is a quick and easy process and a good way to give back.”

Zianya Salgado, Staff Reporter

The annual  HOSA  Blood Drive came to Millard West receiving many donations from both students, teachers and Millard West families on Friday, Feb. 4th. Many blood donation trucks go to high schools around the Millard district to get age required students to participate in donating. With the help of HOSA, the Red Cross is able to operate in schools and get others to be involved in donating. 

The blood donation trucks come twice a year, spreading awareness of the many things blood can do for others. Students who are sixteen with a parent or guardian’s permission can donate and help those hospitals in need. There are no other substitutes for blood, so it makes it a little harder to supply without the help of the community.

“Blood products help our community and also get shipped to areas in need,” Red Cross Account Manager Trevor Oestmanna said. “A lot of that blood helps people in hospitals for injuries and transfusions, etc.”

When donating blood, students are informed about their health so that the blood they donate will fully benefit others. The day before donations, it is crucial that everything is checked off the list for your safety.   

“Before donating blood it is important to be hydrated,” HOSA sponsor Jeanne Meyer said. “Also having a certain amount of iron could affect whether you can or can’t donate. It will be unsafe if your iron is below the required level. Also a good night’s rest and eating food to gain nutrients are crucial.”

Without the help of the schools, these options wouldn’t be available for others. That is why it is important that different age groups hop on board to help. Also, having a more diverse blood supply could help others with different blood types. 

“I can tolerate needles really well so I figured if I donate blood I can help people,” Sophomore Allison Gardner said. “I think it’s important, mainly saving other people’s lives. You never know who needs blood.”

Even a small donation of one unit of blood could save up to three other people’s lives. Knowing that students changed or impacted others’ lives, Millard West students and staff make a big impact on the community, continuing to donate and help spread awareness every year.