Fight for a Cure

Junior sells bracelets to raise money for Type 1 diabetes

Photo provided by Jayden Fellman

This picture shows what each bracelet says. They are blue bracelets. “This summer, I got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes,” Fellman said. “Because of COVID, the JDRF isn’ doing a walk this year, so I ordered bracelets to support them.”

Camille O'Neill, Staff Reporter

For many high school students, summers consist of going on vacations, having summer jobs, and hanging out with friends. Junior Jayden Fellman’s summer had a bit of a twist. Last summer, Fellman was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. This condition has made Fellman have to watch what she eats and manage her blood sugar level. 

This year, she decided to give back to the organization that researches different treatments and ways to cure Type 1 diabetes. Usually the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) does a walk every year to raise money for diabetes. The walk was cancelled this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because the walk and other JDRF fundraising events were cancelled, Fellman decided to sell bracelets for $2 each to benefit JDRF. These bracelets are specific to her fight against Type 1 diabetes. On one side of the bracelets, it says “Jayden’s Fight for a Cure.” On the other side, it says #DiabetesAwareness. 

Diabetes has affected Fellman’s day to day life in many ways. She has to check often if she needs to give herself insulin or if she needs to eat something sugary.

“I have to consistently watch what I eat and monitor my blood sugar level,” Fellman said. “It’s been a really big change, but I’ve gotten used to it.”

If she eats too much sugar, her blood sugar could rise very quickly, and she has to get more insulin through a pump or shots. Despite these challenges, Fellman has kept a positive attitude, even though managing diabetes on top of school can be hard.

Friends have been supportive of Fellman’s effort. They say that having diabetes has made Fellman even more determined to do things, and she has become stronger because of it. Her friends are doing their best to support her and be on her side through this fight. They support her by buying the bracelets she is selling and just being there when she needs it most. 

“I am so proud of her for doing this,” junior Paige Seastedt said. “I know how much this means to her, and she is really working hard, and it is paying off. She has already raised so much money and sold so many bracelets, and she is still going.”

English teacher Jennifer Priest is on the JDRF board and helps aid in the research they do.. Her son also has Type 1 diabetes, so she knows a lot about the condition from her personal experience. 

“JDRF raises money to help scientists research a cure for type 1 diabetes,” Priest said. “They also research treatments, such as medications and technological devices to manage Type 1 diabetes.”

Fellman plans on selling a lot more bracelets for JDRF in the future. JDRF continues to raise money to find a cure for type 1 diabetes. She currently has about $350 in proceeds, and plans to keep selling them for as long as she can.