Journey to Neverland

Theater department takes to the skies with flight school

Mackenzie Gonzales

Senior Kathryn Evans goes up in the air during flight school

Mackenzie Gnzales, Staff Writer

For Millard West’s Theater Department it took a bit more than faith, trust and pixie dust to put on Peter Pan as the Fall Play.

The Peter Pan cast worked to prepare over the past few months. Every day the cast ran through their lines and cues while crew worked backstage to make props and scenery.

“It took a lot of work to prepare for Peter Pan, especially when it came to the flying,” Drama director Brooke Phillips said. “The cast and crew have been hard at work since the beginning of August.”

This year’s lead, Peter Pan, was portrayed by senior Kathryn Evans. Out of all of the characters, Evans did the most flying. She had to wear a harness during the entire show, which allows Evans to fly.

“Being in the harness is kind of painful at first, but eventually I got used to it,” Evans said. “Flying is awesome and super fun. It’s the best experience. Whenever I go into the air my heart starts beating faster and the adrenaline kicks in. ”

Peter Pan and the Darling siblings could not fly without the help of their flight crew, a group of students in charge of getting Evans and the others up in the air.

“We have a lot of students backstage helping out on flight crew,” junior Aislyn Tyler said. “Some the students are in charge of pulling ropes, while others are in charge of putting harnesses on.”

Flight crew and cast members that were flying had to attend a full day of flight crew, three days of rehearsal with just flying and several days of safety training.

“Both those putting on harnesses and pulling the ropes had to pay special attention during those meetings because if something was wrong we wouldn’t be able to fly anyone,” Tyler said. “If a harness wasn’t clipped right the actor could fall. If the students pulling the ropes weren’t paying attention they could miss a que or go too early.”

Hard work was not the only thing it took to put on the play. It took $6 thousand to $8 thousand dollars to get all the flight-gear. Along with the flight-gear, the theater department had to hire an instructor to make sure the production ran smoothly and the actors were ready for opening night.