Terrifying Treats

The bitter truth on what students think about Halloween candy

Bailey Christensen, Staff Member

One night each year children get the opportunity to obtain free sweets through dressing up in ridiculous costumes and ringing doorbells throughout the block. Most children ask for a treat, yet some feel that they are being tricked.

Halloween candy, the words tends to drive little children mad with joy, yet some treats handed out create the same effect as picky kids who are given common vegetables; pure and utter disgust. With all the sugar packed into each candy bar or box, it would only be reasonable to assume that the outcome would be delicious and almost addicting, but that isn’t always the case.

The chewy, gooey texture, wacky flavors or the annoying sticky paper wrapping, every candy is criticized by picky eaters.

According to the Huffington Post, around 600 million pounds of candy are sold for Halloween alone in America. This brings to question what candies are most people tossing straight out of their plastic pumpkins and into the trash can.

For this upcoming Halloween, Millard West students shared their opinions on what not to hand out.

The classic orange, yellow and white stripes symbolize the classic candy corn colors, yet also symbolize a Halloween trick over a treat.

Similarly to candy corn the malted milk candies known as Whoppers were not too big of a hit either with some of our students.

Taste is a common probably shown within candies. This can be also said for Starbursts. They are usually an out of this world hit with children, but for some students they come off as a overwhelming burst of failure.

Students would rather “eat their shorts” than grab a butterfinger.

The bright colors of each DOT candy doesn’t seem to be able to distract students from the horrendous taste.

Tootsie Pops are a complete flop according to some students.

Everyone’s taste is unique which spawns on the best part of Halloween, trading candy afterwards.

Bailey Christensen, Staff Writer

Bailey is a junior and is excited to be joining the Advanced Journalism staff this year. She enjoys interviewing, filming, and editing videos. Outside...