Tropical delights: A taste of Hawaiian cuisine

New restaurant opens up its first Nebraska location
Hawaiian Bros moments before their grand opening

In March, Hawaiian Bros Island Grill opened up its first location in Gretna off of 370 and has sought a massive amount of attention. The restaurant offers island-inspired plate lunches with a variety of juicy meats and sides to satisfy your cravings.

Stepping into Hawaiian Bros. can be described as a breath of fresh air while being greeted with an ‘’Aloha’’ from its welcoming staff, and a serranation of Hawaiian tunes. The different shades of blue accompanied by bright lights also make for a comforting environment.

Deciding what to eat is rather easy due to a small and simple menu. Hawaiian Bros. offers five different types of meats consisting of either chicken or pork; customers also have the option to pick seasoned vegetables as an entree, but that is not as popular as its protein options. Each plate includes two sides ranging from white rice, mac salad, pineapple, or vegetables.

When ordering, customers have the option to order face-to-face or at a kiosk. Both systems are efficient and consumers can expect to be assisted by staff if questions arise. After ordering, you will be directed to the counter where you can grab different sauces of your choice and utensils. Customers can expect to have their food out within a few minutes hot and fresh.

My first meal which included Huli Huli Chicken, Lua Pig, and two balls of rice.

Hawaiian Bros offers three different portion sizes between a small, classic and large. Typically, a classic is the best option because it offers a solid amount of food and is the best bang for your buck. Your final price tag will most likely range from about $11-$13 dollars.

Personally, my go-to order has included the ‘’Huli Huli Chicken’’ and the ‘’Lua Pig’’. Getting two different entrees will cost you about an ext

ra dollar, but that doesn’t stop the majority of customers. The Huli Huli is their signature dish is described as marinated teriyaki chicken that is grilled fresh. The Lua Pig is their only pork option and my favorite entree. It is said to be slow-roasted kalua pork seasoned with Hawaiian sea salt. With a hint of their homemade pineapple barbeque sauce, this combination is one to be reckoned with.

Customers can sense the quality of the food the second they open the box. The tender meat accompanied by rice and mac salad can satisfy anyone’s cravings. The rice dabbled with the juices from the meats and barbeque sauce only enhanced the meal. Overall, you can expect to have a quality meal for a great price every time you walk in.

Hawaiian Bros. has established itself as a go-to restaurant even in its early stages. This restaurant is rejuvenating and great for the Gretna/Omaha area.