Dropping out of Senior Year

New Top 10 movie right now puts me in a coma

Riley Kramolisch, Staff Reporter

Sitting on Netflix Top 10 Movies for several days now, “Senior Year” has become very popular. I’m not sure if it’s because it has popular actress Rebel Wilson in it or if it’s because there are not many new movies coming out and people want to watch something new. 

“Senior Year” is about a girl in high school who has everything she wants: cheer captain, the most popular girl in the school and the hottest boyfriend. The only thing left was Prom Queen, until one day she falls and is put into a 20-year coma. When she wakes up she wants to go back to high school, finish her degree and win Prom Queen.

This movie was nothing extraordinary but not completely awful. There was a good cast such as Rebel Wilson, Angourie Rice and Mary Holland. The film had lots of comedic and adult jokes in it that resembled the mind and reality of a high schooler. I liked the idea of the story but throughout the movie, I wasn’t drawn to it. I feel it would be a good background movie. 

The soundtrack to the movie was good. When the cheerleaders were performing they danced to the song “Hot in Herre by Nelly,” “U Drive Me Crazy” by Britney Spears and “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” by Shania Twain. There were also several new and not-so-popular songs to play, too, that fit very well with the movie. 

This movie brought in the idea of older movies like “Sixteen Candles,” “Never Been Kissed” and “Pretty In Pink.” where they have the popular groups and then the outsiders/lonely kids who,throughout the movie, try to fit in with the cool kids but eventually realize they are amazing the way they are.

There were some jokes and funny comments in the film with a lot of sarcasm and satire that did make me laugh a little bit, but I guess you could say there were some insulting comments the actors made to portray a “fight scene” between two characters that were discussing the idea of brining prom queen back to the school because they took it away so everyone could be treated fairly, that were just kinda weird and maybe unnecessary. But other than that it did fulfill its comedy theme. This movie is directed for a more adult mature audience. It is rated R and uses some adult and inappropriate language. I would not recommend little kids or early teens to watch it.

I really wouldn’t recommend watching this movie. I would give it two out of five stars unless you just want something easy to overlook or follow along with. The idea was good, but it didn’t really keep my attention throughout.