Peter Parker’s shocking reunion

Generations come together for one final battle

Photo Courtesy of imdb.com

After the reveal of his identity, Peter Parker (Tom Holland) works to change his fate while getting visits from blindsiding characters. These events make you believe that there really might be no way home.

Zianya Salgado, Staff Reporter

(Warning: Contains spoilers)

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” breaks box office records of more than 1.53 billion dollars since its debut. It takes the audience on an adventure showing the struggles of Peter Parker (Tom Holland). Throughout the film Peter tries to solve the problem from the previous movie, “Spider-Man: Far From Home” where Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal) reveals the identity of Spiderman. While trying to fix this problem, he gets visits from several others that are out of his world, making fans go crazy. Turn of events helps Peter understand a deeper meaning of what it is to be a hero, and a couple life lessons.

The movie starts off with an exciting opening scene: after J Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons), a reporter, broadcasts his identity to the world, Peter Parker sets off to hide with MJ (Zendaya Coleman), his aunt May (Marisa Tomei) and Happy (Jon Favreau). There are a couple of scenes that show how different people feel about Peter Parker; some are angry and believe Mysterio was the victim of what happened in the drone attack at London previously. I feel like Tom Holland and other actors around him perfectly depict the tension a superhero would feel in this situation while the audience was able to feel what he feels. Peter struggles with legal issues as the police conspire against him and “Daredevil” fans, like myself, get a surprise when Peter hires no other than Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) as his lawyer. Not only is this a collaboration of characters that Marvel fans have asked to see on screen, but it brings hope for seeing more characters collaborate in the Marvel universe.

The many consequences Peter faces, like not getting into college and losing trust from others, even his own classmates, really shows how much identity can affect some superheroes’ futures. When Peter feels like there’s no other way out, he pays a visit to Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch). With the growth of their relationship throughout the movie, I feel as if there is a similar connection to that of Tony Stark  (Robert Downey Jr) and Peter’s father-son relationship which strikes a heart string. Dr. Strange agrees to Peter’s request to cast a spell among everyone to forget that Spider-Man is Peter Parker, but while performing the spell, Peter tries to change it so that the people who are most important to him still remember him as Spider-Man.

I was surprised that Dr. Strange would agree to this spell in the first place since he’s more strict when it comes to any time spells that can possibly change the timeline or break the multiverse, also that his sidekick Wong (Benedict Wong) opposed it. A small catastrophe occurs and after Dr. Strange contains the spell it seems to be as if there is still something wrong. Then the first two villains Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) and Norman Osborn as Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe) from different worlds make a spectacular entrance. 

It didn’t stop there as other villains came in like Electro (Jamie Fox), Doctor Curtis Conners as the Lizard (Rhys Ifans) and Sandman (Thomas Church). Dr. Strange set Peter on a mission to find them all and bring them to ‘the Wizards dungeon’ as Ned (Jacob Batalon) calls it, to send them back to their worlds. It was exciting to see these villains from past Spider-Man movies come back on screen and work together or even work against each other. I was also surprised at how easy it was catching the villains and it made me think that there must be a twist to it.

The film captures how compassionate Peter Parker is when he doesn’t agree to send them back until he fixes the things that make them villains. I was nervous seeing Peter go against Dr.Strange’s word and work with them since they were antagonists. One of the most exciting parts of the movie is when Peter uses his ‘Spidey senses’ to sense Green Goblin showing his true colors, while trying to change him back to normal. There was a good use of the famous dolly camera effect whenever Peter felt his ‘Spidey senses’ activate, giving a sort of anxious feeling to the situation. 

Another climactic scene is when the famous words “With great power comes great responsibility” are spoken by Aunt May in her final breaths. It was devastating to watch because ever since the first Tom Holland Spider-Man Movie “Spider-Man: Homecoming” we’ve seen the relationship between May and Peter grow, she was like a mother to him and Holland performed Peter’s flood of emotions perfectly. In the theater I heard many people express how sad they were but it quickly changed to cheers when one of the most monumental moments in cinematic history showed up on screen. None other than Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire, Spider-Man from past movies, come to help Holland’s Spider-Man save the day with a little bit of brotherly advice, humor and action-packed fight scenes. Not only does this bring three generations of Spider-Man together, but also confirms many fan theories of seeing them on screen as a trio. 

My personal favorite scene was when Garfield’s Spider-Man saved MJ gaining redemption after losing ‘his MJ’ Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) from the same event. I feel like Andrew’s Peter Parker finally got the attention that he deserved as one of the Spider-Man and since the movie, fans have been asking for a third film to complete his trilogy. I also loved seeing them fight as a team and the hilarious scene where they talk about their webbing situation where Tobey’s Spider-Man explains how it’s all natural. Even with all the “new characters,” Holland’s Peter Parker was not overshadowed by the others. Though I did wish for a longer fight scene at the end of the movie between Holland’s Spider-Man and Green Goblin, the controversy between them was so clearly evident placing Norman Osborn, yet again, as one of the most ruthless villains of all time.

The end of the movie shows the loss that Peter experiences throughout the film come to a final wrap as Dr. Strange succeeds at making everyone forget about not only Spider-Man but any memory of Peter Parker to seal the rip in the multiverse. This shows Peter willing to give up his closest friends for the sake of the world. Everyone was completely silent in the audience at this moment in the movie. Seeing Peter’s friendship with Ned and MJ grow made the split even more downhearted. The final scenes of Peter swinging through New York in a new suit continuing his friendly neighborhood Spider-Man activities, made me feel proud of how much character development there was in him and it gave closure to his trilogy. 

Every Marvel movie never fails to impress, but by far this is on the top of my list. From the outstanding character performances, to diving deeper into Peter Parker himself, it was a love letter to Spider-Man and Marvel fans. Every character got their moment to shine and it really showed the hardships of a hero, especially one that is only in high school. When watching it in a theater with a large captive crowd, the reactions were exhilarating— maybe even better than the reactions of “Avenger’s Endgame.” There are also many Easter eggs caught along the film, like slight mention of Miles Morales from “Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse” and many new theories stirring between the fans. Out of all the Marvel movies and movies I’ve watched in general, this is one of the most exciting ones out of all and I believe it deserves a 5/5.