Screened in

Technology is becoming a very big issue for the modern generation

Picture by: The Verge

Screen time is becoming a problem. Many people are spending more and more time on their devices and it is having an impact on their health.

Reece Straley, Staff Reporter

Technology is a huge part of the modern world. Whether that is phones, computers, video game systems or TVs, everyone uses them. There is a big debate over how much screen time people should have. With technology growing more and more the world is worried that too much screen time can affect you in negative ways, especially the younger generation.

Most kids have access to their own personal device like an iPad or phone. They spend countless hours on these devices watching videos or playing games but none of it is helpful or productive. Various studies have tested how screen time affects kids and the results show that those who spend more than two hours a day score lower on language and thinking tests. When they got over seven hours they saw thinning of the brain’s cortex, the part related to critical thinking and reasoning. Doctors think it could be due to blue light that causes the narrowing of teens’ focus and limiting exploration of other options.

It’s very hard for students not to become involved with technology because it’s all around them. Schools expose them by handing out laptops and making many assignments online, their parents use their phones and computers and in the real world technology is around every corner. On top of this, many students get a phone or an iPad at a very young age. I personally got my first iPad when I was seven and my first phone when I was 12. When people get devices so young it sets them up for a more addictive future as they will continue to rely on those devices throughout their life. 

How much time is spent on the screen is another very big factor. The daily recommended amount of screen time is about two hours. With the world we live in now, some studies show that some people get over 10 hours of screen time per day. With this amount of screen time the studies showed it lead to depression, lower test scores, poor sleep and body aches. 

To lower screen time it should start with the parents regulating their kids but also self regulation. Parents should set a time limit on their kids phones to limit how much time they spend looking at their device. When you self-regulate, set a timer on your phone to make sure that you aren’t spending too much time. Instead of being on your phone you could go outside and do an activity, read a book, or go for a walk. When it comes to regulation, studies have shown that with regulation it can teach them skills that are associated with academic and social abilities.

Unfortunately, we can’t help but be on our devices for so long. With the hit of COVID-19 many people were forced to go online for work and school. Every assignment was online, which forced kids to be on their devices, manys times for over eight hours a day.

There are some things you can do to combat spending so much time on your screen. First, make sure you take plenty of breaks and on those breaks rest your eyes to avoid straining them. This could be reading a book, closing them or doing any activity that you are absent from a screen. Also make sure you get plenty of sunlight whether that be sitting outside, going for a walk or playing a game; get moving throughout the day.

Technology is not slowing down and will continue to evolve and become more and more a part of society. It affects our day-to-day life. In the future, kids should get access to technology later so that in the future they are less reliant on those devices. I’m not saying to cut technology out of your life completely. It is very hard nowadays to cut down at all because of how much technology our world has, but the benefits are astronomical.