Seniors’ first act of adulthood

Some seniors will be able to vote this election

Jonathan Jimenez

Some seniors have the opportunity to change the United States by voting in the presidential election.

Jonathan Jimenez, Staff Reporter

Seniors who are 18 years-old can vote in the upcoming presidential election this November.

These students’ votes will help determine the current state of the United States, and future generations to come. Social studies teacher Dana Blakely understands this when teaching her government class about the process of in-person voting.

Currently, we have spent the entire semester talking about the upcoming election,” Blakely said. “We have spent class time looking at the people and issues that will be on the ballot.”

Voting is a time for US citizens to voice their opinion. There are a couple of ways to vote, those being in-person and by mail. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, more people are choosing to vote by mail than ever. Governor Pete Ricketts has said that this is a safe process among the recent controversy. Prior to the election, one must register to vote.

It was really easy to register to vote,” senior Jenna Reynolds said. “I just did it on the DMV website when I registered to get my new driver’s license.”

Another way to register is online through the Nebraska Secretary of State. A Nebraska driver’s license or state-issued identification card is the only thing needed when registering to vote. An additional way to register is through the Department of Health and Human Services and State Department of Education when applying for a public program. With all of these options available, the option to vote is accessible too many people, and Blakely finds voting to be very important.

In my world, you aren’t allowed to complain unless you vote,” Blakely said. “My own mother went about 15 years without voting.”

There are many ways to get educated about politics. Reynolds has been educating herself by watching YouTube videos, the first presidential debate and talking to people about the candidates. In the debate, Donald Trump and Joe Biden informed the public on the policies they wish to implement if they are voted president. Discussing politics with people can open one’s mind to others’ opinions and beliefs in a respectful manner. It’s also important to view many sources of political news as to avoid biased information.

With the presidential election coming up soon, students who are planning to vote are becoming more politically active. Whether it be in-person or through mail, these votes will affect the outcome of the ballot.