A Celebration of Women

Women praise all that they have achieved

Sydney Looney, Online Editor

photo by Hannah Olafson
Women gathered together to celebrate their achievements.

For years we have learned about HIStory in our schools but I think it’s about time we learn about HERstory. We need to learn about all the struggle women have overcome. We weren’t allowed to have jobs outside of the home. Voting and getting an education were prohibited. Within the past few centuries we have changed these stigmas. We now have a day where we appreciate all the progress women have made.

International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8th. This holiday celebrates the social, economic and political achievement of women. The leadership positions, awards and progress for equal rights are recognized. In Australia, women participated in a 5K run to show appreciation for this holiday. Ireland held a film festival. A conference was organized in Long Beach, California. Thousands of events like these were held world wide.

For centuries women have been treated as less than men. In the 20 and 21st century we have made strides when it comes to equal rights. Whether it’s the passing of the 19th amendment or countless women running for office we have made history.

In the past year alone hundreds of women have changed the way our society views us. The day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration 4.5 million women marched in Washington D.C to show our new president that women will not go unheard.

Although she didn’t win, Hillary Clinton made political history when she was the first woman to be nominated for the presidential race by a major political party. Clinton has inspired women everywhere to never give up on their dreams even though the world is against them.

Beyoncé took the music industry by storm when she released her album Lemonade which opened up a discussion about the multidimensional image of the black female life.

Every single one of these events should not go unnoticed.

Not every woman has to make million of dollars or run for president to be successful. Getting a promotion or a raise at your job is also something that should be recognized.

Contrary to popular believe, International Women’s Day is not a day to hate on men. We are celebrating how much equality we have gained. Men should be right along side the women showing how proud they are of how both gender are becoming equal. They need to support their mothers, wife, and daughter in becoming empowered women.

photo by Hannah Olafson
Even men come to support women’s achievments.

Even though we have made progress there are still adjustments that need to be made. The gender pay gap is still a relevant issue in the business world. Men make 17.9% more money annually than a women when doing the same exact job. This is not fair to all the hard working females in America.

In many developing countries today girls are denied education. Globally, 65 million girls are not in school. This number is way too high. Every person on this earth has the right to an education so they can have a successful life. In the words of Nelson Mandela “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

We have achieved so much that will not be forgotten years from now. Future generations will learn in history class about how much this world has changed and is still going to change. International Women’s Day demonstrates that women are the future.