A woman’s world

The month of March celebrates the real meaning behind girl-power
Alex Elgert
Everyday, women and girls defy the odds and do the impossible: everything.

Whether she’s your mother, your sister or your girlfriend, there must be a woman in your life to whom you owe many things. March is a month about recognizing these things and lifting women up.

For centuries, women have been portrayed as ‘less-than’ in comparison to their male counterparts. And for centuries, women have fought these ideas tooth and nail, overcoming feats once thought impossible.

Right now, Taylor Swift is America’s most influential celebrity, according to a CW33 article. Whether you like her or not, the singer-songwriter has an impressive discography and has amassed a loyal fanbase through her songs, many of which revolve around her experience in dating- something many young women connect with. Her music encourages women and girls to never settle for a partner they’re not content with, and to always strive for what’s best for them.

On the other hand, women’s sports are becoming more and more relevant and sponsorships are more common in the teams. At Millard West alone, the girls basketball is getting more attention after they won their first state championship for the team. Many athletes, such as the Gessert twins, have been recognized for their commitment to the game and their teammates. In volleyball, Nebraska has premiered the state’s very first major league team – the Supernovas. And, they’re based right here in Omaha.

Meanwhile, Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” movie hit the silver screen in July of 2023. The film resonated with so many, even branching out of its ‘target audience,’ hitting men and boys close to home with the representation of what it means to be a woman in a world where that can sometimes count against you. Actress America Ferrera famously delivered her ‘what it means to be a woman’ monologue just minutes after receiving the script from Gerwig herself. She insists upon the, although unconscious, standards that women are held to everyday. The responsibility to be a strong role model for young girls everywhere, to be able to achieve so much on their own as an independent woman, and to be a caretaker to not only their children but the men they spend their lives with. 

As many can and will tell you, being a woman is exhausting. Not just the social aspect, either, but our own biology can sometimes seem like it’s out to get us. The things that women can achieve in their lifetime are exceptional, and yet so many are unable to access many feminine products such as pads, tampons, and even birth control. Whether it be lack of funds or lack of products, so many women and girls across the globe are unable to get the care they need. If you’re interested in helping them get access to these products, the American Red Cross is a great organization to donate to.