Take 5 and stay alive

Spreading awareness of the signs of trafficking dangers in parking spaces
The dangers in parking lots can range from human trafficking to keeping your belongings safe in your car. Adding additional surveillance and security in parking garages and large lots can help keep safety maintained.
Photo by Leah Pickhinke

In previous years, personal safety has become a major concern around the world. Many people often find themselves vulnerable in parking lots, having to face the fear of human trafficking. This issue demands attention and efforts to ensure a secure environment for everyone.

According to an article by Security, parking lots are identified as high-risk areas for crimes against many but it has raised more of a concern for women. With incidents of harassment and assaults climbing every year, human trafficking, a form of modern day slavery, has unfortunately found its way into the parking lots and garages of every city. The State of California Department of Justice  emphasizes that 17,500 people in the U.S. disappear annually from human trafficking. With that number climbing, seemingly innocent areas such as parking lots have become a threat to people, fueling the fear of adding to the large number.

Although this is a large problem throughout the world, addressing it is a difficult approach. Traffickers often operate under the radar. Even in settings such as parking garages open to the public, many of them do not have any surveillance or those who pass through aren’t educated on recognizing the signs of trafficking. 

The importance of well-lit parking lots, surveillance systems and increased police presence to deter criminal activities can definitely help, moreover community engagement programs can educate individuals to be vigilant and supportive of one another.

While technological advancements, such as panic buttons and safety apps, aim to provide quick assistance, Sciencegov suggests that creating a culture of awareness within communities is equally essential. Encouraging bystander intervention and reporting suspicious activities can be instrumental in subduing potential dangers.

The safety issue in parking lots is linked with a larger challenge of combating human trafficking. By acknowledging the problem, implementing security measures, and fostering community awareness, we can strive towards creating safer spaces for everyone.