Swinging for success

The Wildcats take on the Storm for the annual Unified softball game
Delaney Lueck
Senior Nicklaus Wright loads in stride as he takes the batter’s box. The Unified softball game was just about to get underway on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon. ‘’I had a lot of fun in this game, and batting was my favorite part,’’ Wright said. ‘’It was cool that I got to pitch for my team.’’

On Oct. 17, the Millard West Wildcats traveled in packs to take on the Elkhorn South Storm in the annual Unified softball game. Anticipation for the game did everything but fall short of excitement for the players, coaches, and spectators. Led by coach Brett Siepker and staff, the Wildcats look to take home gold, but more importantly, have fun.

Looking back at last year, the game resulted in a 14-14 tie after three innings of play.  The experience was very rewarding for all the volunteers and players, and the Wildcats look to replicate those moments from last year into this year’s game.

As the Wildcats took the field, balls would be tossed around between partner and athlete and bats would be swinging in revelations around a player’s body to get loose. Junior Tanner Baker was given the task of the ‘’hype man,’’ and made sure everyone was locked in from the get-go and was excited to play. As soon as the clock hit 10:30 a.m. it was time to get the show on the road.

After the national anthem, roars would be heard throughout the venue as the lineups were being announced. Next thing you know, the phrase ‘’play ball’’ was exclaimed overhead which indicated it was time.

The Wildcats were the first ones to step up to the dish. Senior Nicklaus Wright was selected to get things going and lead off for the Cats. Wright would reach first safely due to a dinky hit past the pitcher. Sophomore Eli Peterson was next in line to hit. After watching a slew of pitches go by, he got his chance off the tee which resulted in a fielding error by the pitcher which would put two runners on base for the Wildcats. Baker then walked up to the plate and drove in both runners with a hard-hit ball to third base. Sophomore Cruz Kessler was the last one to bat for the Wildcats before roles reversed for the teams. Kessler rounded the bases as he shot a ball through the second basemen’s legs, which would reward the Cats two more runs making the score 4-0.

Before the Cats knew it, a ‘’storm’’ was on its way during this next inning. Wright was placed on the bump to start things off defensively. After the first two runners reached base with hits, Senior Kobe Eikmeier sent a ball into orbit all the way to the wall which would allow both runners to cross the plate for runs. After a shaky defensive showing the Cats got out of the first inning all tied up at 4-4.

Despite the rough inning, the Wildcats came out with more energy than before and were ready to get the bats rolling. Sophomore Braxton Fox got things rolling with a single to third base which would ignite a spark. A softly hit ball by Junior Charlie Joseph put her on first base as well as Fox on second base . Senior Tag Carmichael then hit a blooper over first base’s head which would allow him to reach first base. The bases were now loaded for the top of the lineup, and an infield single paired with errors let Wright round the bases and score the team to make it 8-4.

Elkhorn South Alumni Aidan Siepold and Delaney (Dog) Weiss kicked things off for the Storm. Well put together at bats resulted in singles for both players which gave them the jolt they needed for the rest of the game. Senior Bobby Franco hoisted a ball over to right field to plate both and put himself on second base. After a solid inning of offense, the Storm made the game 8-8, which would conclude the game in a tie.

Nothing but excitement was displayed after the game. Both teams were extremely happy and satisfied with what they had accomplished today. Every player was awarded a medal for their hard work and dedication. The group of participants got to celebrate the game with a pizza party afterward.