Horrors inside a home

The actuality of domestic abuse within day-to-day lives
Domestic+abuse+affects+families+and+individuals+all+over+the+world.+Daily%2C+repeated+cases+of+domestic+abuse+have+stormed+the+spectrum+crossing+above+30%25+in+March+of+2022.+
Nathan Bu
Domestic abuse affects families and individuals all over the world. Daily, repeated cases of domestic abuse have stormed the spectrum crossing above 30% in March of 2022.

The head that holds the protruding serpents has been defined as many things throughout the eventful journey for which she has been recognized. Medusa, a mythical creature once seen as a symbol of shame, blame, and punishment; now flourishes the bodies of many men and women in recognition of sexual and domestic abuse within one’s sanction. 

But the ever-lasting effect of her story isn’t some simple fairytale to one’s complexion. Her story reflects a person’s neglect, turned into a depiction of power behind the suffering a domestic abuse victim has gone through. 

As monthly occasions and weekly awarenesses flood the month of October, a special remembrance is given to domestic violence patients. Domestic Abuse Awareness Month stretches throughout the eerie weeks of fall, as it is a time for those affected to share their story, reflecting their horrors.

Considering that domestic abuse is the most common form of abuse, this overlooked violence affects men, women and children worldwide. On average, 20 people per minute endure physical abuse daily in the United States. The wide variety of abuse falls anywhere along the never-ending spectrum, as it is not just an act of violence but can also be stalking, a sense of fearfulness, PTSD and contracting sexually transmitted diseases.

As big of a subject as domestic abuse is, the matter is certainly not given the attention it needs. Statistically proven, one in three women, as well as one in four men, have experienced a form of abuse by an intimate partner. But on the contrary, the point of issue is what makes this violence seem underwhelming to some. In cases including a range of behaviors, (slapping, shoving, pushing, etc) is not considered “domestic abuse.” This belief makes it hard for victims to be adamant about speaking out about their past.

The stereotypical topics about domestic abuse could bring a fear of retaliation from an intimate partner, causing a sense of destruction in a victim’s life. Many people victimized by abuse feel ashamed to tell close family members, friends, or professionals for fear of being judged or not believed about their past. To worsen the matter, an abuser will make them feel responsible for the situation or imply that the victim is at fault.

Nonetheless, being aware of whether a person is being harmed by an abusive partner is a step in the right direction. Signs and what to look for when distinguishing a person with an abusive companion form from extreme jealousy, possessiveness and unpredictability. Another red flag to look out for is the suspected abusers downplaying the seriousness of the topic

When taking action, your voice is critical in stopping a supposed abuser. Every person has a part to play in ending the violence, and as the ever-increasing rate of domestic abuse rises all over the world, it is never too late to step into action.

For help, contact the (National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800-799-7233), SMS, and live chat)

Like Medusa, shedding old skin and turning into the degrading words an abuser recognizes you as, could save your life. From being a beautiful maiden physically assaulted by men in power, to an unbearable sight to look at, she set milestones in the world of empowerment against domestic abuse for everyone.