Registering for the future

Students sign up for new classes for the next year

Due+to+COVID+and+students+learning+remotely%2C+teachers+had+to+set+up+scheduled+times+to+create+the+students+schedules+through+Zoom+meetings.+

Photo by Jasmine Hermosillo-Padilla

Due to COVID and students learning remotely, teachers had to set up scheduled times to create the students schedules through Zoom meetings.

Jasmine Hermosillo-Padilla, Editor-in-Chief Catalyst Online

Starting on Jan. 25, West began the process of registering for classes for the following school year. This week-long activity helps students plan out their upcoming schedules with the help of their advisors. 

In order for students to become successful during this yearly task, they needed to become familiar with the new Synergy platform that replaced Infinite Campus during the 2020-2021 school year. 

“Synergy has some features that Infinite Campus did not have, and I hope that everyone’s overall experience will be enhanced,” assistant principal Casey Lundgren said. “For example, the ability for students to see and select teacher recommendations for core classes in Synergy really helped guide some of the decision making.”

Also, students now have the ability to choose alternate classes. This will streamline the process going forward due to the fact that the counselors will have a record of what other classes a student wants if their first choice isn’t available. 

“My favorite thing about the Synergy process was the teacher recommendations. It made registration go so easy for core classes,” English teacher Kara Radke said. “We have used Infinite Campus in the past, so using Synergy wasn’t too much of a stretch.”

During this time, freshman, sophomores and juniors meet during Quality Time to discuss their schedules and the path they want to follow throughout their time in high school. Course selection at this time drives many other things throughout students four years. With staff helping alongside, their decisions are made based on student course requests. Many times a current teacher, counselor or adviser can help weigh the options.

Something that affects the way I choose my classes was experiences other people had in the classes I’m interested in,” junior Paige Seasted said. “I am also taking my future into consideration because I would like to major in psychology with a minor in criminal justice to become a forensic scientist. 

With students and families getting to choose between remote learning and in-person, some chose to have their academic meeting online rather than coming into the school. Many families had to schedule time slots to register for classes over Zoom with their QT advisors. 

“I have one family that is remote during QT,” Radke said. “They were so great and on top of it, that the conference didn’t take any longer than a typical in person registration conference. I think it would be different if they didn’t have anything planned out already or if I had more than the two remote students.”

With the positive outlook and reviews by teachers, parents and students, this process was able to run smoothly. Students will enter next year equipped with not only the knowledge of what their classes are, but also how to adapt to ever changing situations.