Colleges cancel scores

COVID-19 leads many universities to dismiss ACT/SAT scores as a requirement

Courtesy of Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Many universities are dismissing or making these standardized tests optional for the 2021 enrollment.

Paige Fortney, Staff Reporter

Recently, many colleges have announced that ACT and SAT scores will not be a requirement due to COVID-19. The coronavirus has clearly impacted the opportunity for many students to take these standardized tests, so many universities have decided that it is best to just drop them. 

According to Inside Higher Ed, “at least 17 colleges have dropped the SAT and ACT in recent weeks for one or two admissions cycles, specifically citing the impact of COVID-19.” Boston University has also announced that they will be making these tests optional for those students that will be applying in the fall of 2021.

I personally believe that dropping the scores of these tests for admissions is the correct thing to do. Even outside of this COVID-19 situation, I still believe that the need for an acceptable test score is unnecessary. Especially because a lot of people are very smart, but might be bad test takers. That puts them at a disadvantage. Due to coronavirus though, I also think it’s the best bet considering many are not eligible to take it currently. Even just making it optional gives the students their own choice.

Ivy League schools such as Cornell University and Harvard University have adjusted their requirements and policies. According to the New York Times, Cornell stated that “due to this extraordinary circumstance, students could submit applications without ACT or SAT exam results starting in August 2021.” Harvard has also told high school juniors that there would be no penalties for not submitting an ACT score.

Dismissing these types of things during a time like this certainly helps decrease stress for incoming college students and people applying. Although these tests are very important and do show an immense amount of effort and stats on a student, I definitely don’t think it’s a necessity for colleges right now, or even at all, when looking into getting accepted. As a current junior, I know I was getting very stressed about taking the ACT. Now knowing I have more time to prepare or maybe not even have to take it all, lessens my stress for my senior year and applications. 

According to CNN, “at least 51 universities and colleges have dropped the ACT/SAT requirement for at least fall 2021 in recent months.” Many student groups and boards have liked this optional change in requirements and many want this to be the permanent change. 

Either way you look at it, there’s nothing schools can currently do to ease this situation due to this virus. I, however, hope to see a permanent change in college requirements with these tests scores once this is all over. I don’t think a standardized, timed test should define someone’s ability.