Wildcats go to war with the Warriors

Millard West welcomes in a top team in the State

Wildcats go to war with the Warriors

Jacob Janousek, Sports Director

After a strong win against the Lincoln Southwest Silver Hawks, the Millard West Wildcats have a huge game in the distance. On Friday, December 14, the top five Westside Warriors will find their way into the Wildcat’s house.

The 4-0 Warriors were ranked sixth in the Nebraska Prep Zone rankings and they have really showed their worth. Obtaining wins over North Star, Elkhorn South, Millard South and Norfolk, they have been able to dominate the competition.

One win that really stands out is a 69-31 win over a solid a Millard South Patriots, a team the Wildcats will play later in the year, in impressive fashion shows this team can play with anyone.

These Warriors will be the full package for the Wildcats.

“Westside is a solid team,” junior Dalys Beanum said. “They have a lot of shooters and we really need to focus on our defense against them.”

Led by a good core of three players, they have done well. A forward for the Warriors,  senior Chase Thompson is strong at center averaging 20.5 points per game (ppg) and with his 6’6” size has obtained 9.5 rebounds per game (rpg). This a very good rebounding team, and they are also good at distributing the ball.

The offense is led by junior Jadin Booth, who has Nebraska Basketball offer, who averages 4.0 assist per game with 14 ppg. Finally finishing out their big three is 6’4” guard junior Carl Brown who has been able to tack on 11 ppg.

Last time out for the Warriors they got a tough 63-56 win at Norfolk where Thompson was able to get 23 points and 14 rebounds, an impressive double-double.

Switching over to the Wildcats they got a momentum boosting win against Lincoln Southwest who was pre-season top 10 team. They were led by Beanum what had team-high 10 points and really was good in crunch time.

This was a momentum building win for the Wildcats

“This was a good win for our team,” head coach Bill Morrison said. “You could really see that our defense improved with the zone, and we plan to run that more this year.”

The zone defense was a key in this game and it is a defense that could benefit the Wildcats to upcoming games especially with a top five team coming into the house

The Wildcats look forward to this opportunity at home against a top team in Nebraska in the Westside Warriors.

“This would be a really good win for us,” sophomore Evan Meyersick said. “It would show we were underrated in to the season and we will be held to a higher standard.”

What’s good for the Wildcats is they are a team who will clear out their bench. They have 12 players switch out in a game which really helps out in game that are getting down the stretch because your best players can be really fresh and we really saw it in their last game.

Defensively the Wildcats have really improved their defense. They only allowed the Silver Hawks to shoot 33% on the game. You have to give credit to the zone defense. The zone played well in the favor of the Wildcats and they may run that defense again against the Warriors.

Everyone chips in and there isn’t a player you can define on player as their best, because they really define the meaning on the team how everyone has kind of fended off eachother.

All in all, this is going to be a good close game the Wildcats have momentum and are upset minded against the 4-0 Warriors.

Make sure you check out the game on StrivTV ( https://striv.tv/channel/millard-west/ ) or at Millard West Friday, December 7th.

About the Contributors
Jacob Janousek, Sports Director

Jacob is a senior and is in his second year on the CATalyst and MWHS Wildcats News staff. He is very involved in the STRIV program and will be commentating...

Madelyn Augustine, News Director

Maddie is a senior in her first year working for the CATalyst. She is also a two year member of the Prowler Yearbook staff. Feature writing and photography...