Nebraska Spring game

A promising start to the season before the season
+Freshman+5-star+quarterback%2C+Dylan+Raiola+winds+up+for+a+deep+throw+that+resulted+in+a+65-yard+touchdown.+Raiola+was+originally+committed+to+Georgia+but+flipped+his+commitment+to+Nebraska+to+play+as+a+legacy+Cornhusker.
Freshman 5-star quarterback, Dylan Raiola winds up for a deep throw that resulted in a 65-yard touchdown. Raiola was originally committed to Georgia but flipped his commitment to Nebraska to play as a legacy Cornhusker.

The 2024 Nebraska Spring Game was more than just a scrimmage for Husker fans, but instead it was a glimpse into the future of this program. From the moment that the fans were let into the stadium, Memorial was jumping with hype and excitement. As soon as the clock started and the first ball was snapped, it became clear that this team was different then years past, and is determined to have their best year in over a decade.

Last season the Cornhuskers had a very typical Nebraska start to the year dropping their first two games. They then came back to beat two teams in a row. They finished the season going 5-7, with many close losses.

One of the most intriguing, and most hyped up aspects of this spring game was the quarterback competition. The Huskers have several talented players at this position including two freshmen and one returner. The quarterbacks switched off every possession giving them all a chance to shine and show off their skills. The most anticipated player to watch was 5-star Dylan Raiola, he had a very strong game with two touchdown passes. Another bright spot in quarterback room is 3 star Daniel Kaelin, he started a little shaky but eventually found his rhythm.

Coach Rhule stuck to mostly aerial plays to get a feel for who the starting quarterback will be this upcoming season, but also wanted to get the new runningback room some work. Dante Dowdell, transfer from Oregon, led the new runningbacks with a good ground game.

While the offense attracted most of the attention, the defense used it to their own advantage. The defense swarmed to the ball from the first whistle to the last, and forced a few turnovers as well. The defensive line had pressure on most plays, and the defensive secondary blanketed the receivers with tight coverage.

During the middle of the game, they stopped play to reflect and remember important players and people in the Nebraska football community. They also interviewed many legends from past teams, including Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell and more. As well as honoring former players and coaches, they also celebrated milestones and were reminded of the rich tradition and legacy of Cornhusker football.

The stadium was filled with fans that were wearing red and white, and bleed the scarlet and cream. Many fans started their days with a classic tailgate to get ready for the upcoming game. The collective atmosphere and energy was electric at the game making fans excited for the upcoming season. This game is a great peak into the near future for Husker nation.

As the sun began to set over Memorial Stadium and the final whistle sounded, there was a sense of optimism and excitement in the air. The Spring Game had offered a glimpse into the future of Nebraska football, showcasing the talent, depth, and potential of this year’s team. While there were areas for improvement, they also found a new sense of confidence and belief that the Cornhuskers were poised for success in the upcoming season.