Season of giving

Students and Staff donate gifts to those in need
Ariana Griffin
Students stop by the band hallway to donate gifts for children in need. There were 30-40 gift donations and an envelope full of gift cards.

On Dec. 7, 2023, gifts donated to the Salvation Army for the Holiday Child event were collected in the band hallway.

Every year the Salvation Army puts together an event in order to give children gifts who may not have the chance to receive gifts on Christmas. They say that Christmas morning is one of the hardest ones for struggling families, and so giving to these children can not only help brighten Christmas morning for these children but it can also allow their parents to focus on necessities such as food and shelter. Donating gifts for these children allows their parents to hand-pick a gift for their child and wrap it themselves. This year, 30-40 gifts and an envelope full of gift cards were collected.

“Millard West has been open for a very long time, and we’ve been doing this ever since,” Student Council sponsor Mark Klein said. “So, to me, it’s been quite an accomplishment to be able to have it and to be able to help so many kids.”

Without QT (Quality Time), trying to distribute the cards for the donations was difficult. Flex Times and Advisements change between students each day, and many teachers weren’t willing to participate due to the schedule change.

“We did not have as many teachers participating this year as in the previous because of the new schedule making it difficult,” Student Council sponsor Ali Bragg said, “We usually fill up the music dock floor; it is just really hard to do it now that we do not have Quality Time.”

Many people still participated in the Salvation Army donations, including students and staff members who were happy to give to those in need.

“Students in the Student Council get the tags and directions ready to put in teacher mailboxes and help collect gifts,” Bragg said. “Students in the building donate money and possibly do the shopping. We have a lot of staff members who do it on their own or in groups as well, for example, the Guidance Secretaries.”

The Student Council is grateful for all the donations they received and happy they were able to give to children in need this holiday season.