Culmination of culture

Students a part of the EL program celebrate Thanksgiving
Standing+in+line%2C+students+apart+of+the+EL+program+wait+to+be+served+traditional+Thanksgiving+dishes+brought+by+administrators+and+faculty.+
Isabella Erspamer
Standing in line, students apart of the EL program wait to be served traditional Thanksgiving dishes brought by administrators and faculty.

Continuing a tradition started during the 2022-2023 school year, the English Learners program hosted a pre-Thanksgiving meal celebrating the culture of students from across the globe. 

“The EL program has grown immensely since the first Thanksgiving meal we had last year,” assistant principal Samantha Ballard said. “I’m glad we were able to continue it this year, because I think it’s a great opportunity to bring everyone together and build a sense of comradery in the EL program, not just between the students and their teacher, but also with counselors and administrators.”

While this dinner featured the traditional turkey and cranberry sauce, many dishes brought by students weren’t something that would typically be found on the table during your traditional Thanksgiving meal. Prior to the event, each student was asked to bring a traditional dish from their culture to share with the class. 

“I brought corn from my country,” senior Mckinndy said. “Eating everyone’s food was very cool because there were people from all over the world; Russia, Germany, Italy and more.”  

Aside from the students, faculty and staff were also asked to bring their favorite Thanksgiving dish. 

“Before the Thanksgiving meal our amazing counselors helped create a food signup sheet for all of the teachers and administrators,” Ballard said. “My job was to bring the mashed potatoes, which was actually my first time making them so I was a little nervous, but it in turn helped me prepare for my Thanksgiving at home.” 

Brought together by good food, students from the EL program gathered around the table to celebrate this iconic American holiday. From Italy to Russia, these students have come from across the world to experience cultural traditions in the United States like these.

“It was so special,” counseling secretary Deborah Wederquist said. “Seeing all of the students interact and just see them put away their phones and have the opportunity to talk to one another was beautiful. There were so many different cultures and backgrounds gathered all in one room, it was just so fun to see them all mingle and laugh with one another.” 

Leaving with full stomachs and happy hearts, this Thanksgiving meal not only brought together multiple cultural foods and traditions, but bonded both students and faculty. For the years to come, this event will continue as an integral tradition for students in the EL program as well as teachers and administrators for many more years to come.