Hall of Fame news

Journalists leave annual NHSPA convention with awards and first time honor
Mark Hilburn
Advanced Journalism, Broadcast Journalism and Yearbook students pose outside the UNL Union after receiving four Cornhuskers (Catalyst print, Catalyst online, MWHS Wildcat News broadcast and Prowler yearbook). This is the highest award given for scholastic journalism in Nebraska. The Prowler yearbook was also inducted into the Cornhusker Hall of Fame.

During this year’s Fall Break, Advanced Journalism, Broadcast Journalism and Yearbook students set out for the University of Nebraska Lincoln on Monday, Oct. 16 for the annual Nebraska High School Press Association’s (NHSPA) Fall Convention. While at the convention, Millard West journalism received four Cornhusker Awards (the highest awards given to publications in the state of Nebraska) for the Catalyst print newspaper, Catalyst online, MWHS Wildcat News broadcast and Prowler Yearbook. The Prowler Yearbook was also the first and only school to be inducted into the NHSPA Cornhusker Hall of Fame, an award created to honor overall excellence and consistent achievement in receiving Cornhusker honors in the association’s critique service. 

This annual convention brings schools from across the state as hundreds of students and advisers for a day of learning and celebrating publication success. At 9 a.m., the convention started with a keynote address from Matt Hansen, editor of the Flatwater Free Press, and was followed by awards from critiques for 2022-2023 publications. Once awards were handed out, students had over 20 sessions from writing, reporting, sports commentary, photography, social media and more to attend during four different break-out times.

“The convention sessions help me the most with layout and design as it’s where my ideas come to life,” senior Delaney Lueck said. “Receiving these Cornhuskers really validates the hard work we do every day and because our streak is long with 12 in a row, it has really motivated me this year as editor-in-chief to keep that tradition of excellence alive.”

Along with break-out sessions, students were able to tour Andersen Hall, which houses the College of Journalism and Mass Communication. Once inside, students were shown the various studios and classrooms as well as the Experience Labs which offer hand-on learning from day one. 

“I went to sports broadcasting with Kevin Sjuts,” senior MWHS Wildcat News Editor-in-Chief Logan Moseley said. “He talks about sports and news broadcasting and what he is supposed to do and what he is supposed to talk about. Also, I went to a radio station with Dwayne to see how we can improve our radio station here. The third one I went to was sports photography. I take pictures for the yearbook so it can help me in improving my photography skills. The last one I went to was a sports commentary. I go to it every year to get different views and opinions on how to be a better sports commentator.”

This convention highlighted the importance of storytelling on various platforms and served as an extension from their day-to-day learning routines in Room 312.

“The NHSPA Fall Convention is one of my favorite events each year,” Hilburn said. “It brings the best and brightest from around the state to learn new journalistic concepts, network with professionals in the industry and likeminded students from other schools and is a chance to really celebrate the hard work done every day by these scholastic journalists. They are there, day in and day out, covering the happenings of this school and I think it’s important to recognize their time, efforts and talents.” 

At the end of the day, the students and Hilburn boarded the bus back to Omaha. With new ideas and a handful of awards, they were eager to continue elevating their programs and continuing the strong tradition of excellence.