Can’t hold ’em back anymore

Unified actors rehearse for most technical production yet
Actors+Sophia+Bartlett+%28left%29+and+Nina+Mills+%28right%29+practice+their+lines+on+stage.+Its+a+very+fun+story%2C+Mills+said.+Even+if+it+can+get+a+bit+sad.+
Caden Reynolds
Actors Sophia Bartlett (left) and Nina Mills (right) practice their lines on stage. “It’s a very fun story,” Mills said. “Even if it can get a bit sad.”

On Nov. 2, 2023, Millard West will be the first high school in the state to perform a full production of “Frozen” The Musical.

Drama teacher and director Brooke Phillips fought long and hard for the rights to put on the unified musical.

“I had to apply for the rights,” Phillips said. “The contest was for any school that would do “Frozen” in a diverse and inclusive way. I wanted to showcase our unified and special needs students.”

Casted students began rehearsal on the first full day of the 2023-24 school year, Aug. 14. 

The cast loves the story and connecting with their characters onstage. 

“I’ve always loved the show,” senior Josie Donscheski said. “I like the sisterhood between Elsa and Anna, and their sisterhood.” 

While many are familiar with the 2013 Disney film, “Frozen” The Musical has some very distinct differences from its animated counterpart.

“There’s a lot of new songs,” junior Sophia Bartlett said. “A couple reprises. You see a lot more from certain characters that didn’t get a lot of screen time originally.” 

The stage production follows the story of sisters Elsa (Sophia Bartlett, Nina Mills) and Anna (Natalie Kiersten) as they navigate the estrangement of their kingdom from themselves. Upon Elsa’s coronation, Anna falls in love with the prince Hans (Brykin Jones). This drives the sisters even further apart than they already had been.

“Feeling disconnected from family is something that was relatable for me,” Bartlett said. “It feels like you might not be good enough for others. Elsa often feels the need to keep herself from connecting with others out of fear of hurting them.” 

The actors involved are excited to be able to add “Frozen” to their resume.

“Last year the school put on Aladdin,” senior Nina Mills said. “And I played Jasmine.”

The show is scheduled to premiere on Nov. 2, 2023, in the auditorium with a huge array of new and impressive technical aspects, including a whole new lighting system above the stage, and a revamped orchestra pit underneath.