Wildcats take the ice against the Mustangs

Millard West Hockey looks to get revenge on rivals

+The+Millard+West+Hockey+team+took+on+the+Millard+North+Mustangs+for+the+second+time+this+season.+Both+teams+are+desperately+looking+for+a+win+with+the+two+teams+having+a+combined+record+of+3-10-1.+%E2%80%9CWe%E2%80%99ve+been+struggling%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+Calvin+Halverson+said.+%E2%80%9CWe%E2%80%99re+just+looking+for+some+wins+to+get+some+motivation.%E2%80%9D+%0A

Photo by Jennifer Sheldon

The Millard West Hockey team took on the Millard North Mustangs for the second time this season. Both teams are desperately looking for a win with the two teams having a combined record of 3-10-1. “We’ve been struggling,” junior Calvin Halverson said. “We’re just looking for some wins to get some motivation.”

Sean Beatty, Staff Reporter

On Sunday, December 6, the Millard West Hockey team took on one of their biggest rivals: the Millard North Mustangs. The game was played at Tim Moylan Tranquility Iceplex, this is the second matchup between these two teams this year with the Mustangs winning the first matchup 3-0.

Both teams are having rather disappointing seasons. The Wildcats enter this game with a 2-5 record while the Mustangs enter the game with a 1-5-1 record this season.

In the first period, the Wildcats started off hot. Freshman Karden Seibel scored two goals in the first both assisted off of senior Carter James. One of them being off of a fast break and the other one being an upper corner goal. The Wildcats were able to get another goal scored by junior Sam Marrian which was assisted by Seibel to give the Cats an early 3-2 lead after the first.

“We felt good after the first period,” junior Calvin Halverson said. “We got three early goals and felt like we were doing enough things right to win.”

Seibel scored his third goal of the game in the second, he was able to beat out the goalie and put it in the net. James got his third assist of the game. He was also able to get a goal himself taking the Wildcats to a commanding 5-2 lead at the end of the second period.

In the final period, the Mustangs were able to get one more goal, but it was not enough. The Wildcats won 5-3, Millard West moved to 3-5 on the year and got their second straight win. They hope to keep this momentum going.

The Wildcats got the job done on the offensive side scoring five goals and sophomore goalie Anderson Nikoydym did his job saving 24 shots and only allowing three with a .889 save percentage.

“It’s always exciting to beat one of the Millard schools,” junior Kray Grennan said. “We always look forward to playing Millard North and South and to win felt great.”

The Wildcats were finally able to get the puck in the net. Five goals are the most goals they have scored in a game all year. In the previous seven games, they only put in 11 goals and have been scoreless in two of those seven games.

“We feel like we are starting to get things together,” Grennan said. “We hope this win will give us the momentum we needed.”

Even though they got off to a slow start and started the season 0-3, the Wildcats are finally getting it together. They have hope that they can turn their season around and make a push for State.

The Cats’ next game is against Capitals East on Saturday, December 12. They hope to keep their winning streak alive.