Students should strive to drive

Many new motorists started operating vehicles around high school
Eddie Shi
Most juniors and seniors drive to school. And with that comes a higher responsibility but many more opportunities. “Driving is how I get to work,” Senior Elisey Kolesnikov-Cherenkov said. “I think students need to learn how to drive because we need to go places.”

In recent years, the debate surrounding student driving has become increasingly relevant. While concerns about safety and environmental impacts are valid, compelling reasons exist to encourage student driving. This story delves into the various aspects of this issue, exploring the benefits, safety measures and economic impact of empowering the next generation of responsible motorists.

Motivating students to drive fosters independence and responsibility among young adults according to the Center for Teaching at Vanderbilt University. Navigating the road responsibly is a crucial life skill that prepares them for adulthood. Not only does driving increase independence, but driving early also lowers the dropout rate. Studies have shown that students who participate in driver’s education are more likely to stay in school and graduate, as driving facilitates access to extracurricular activities and part-time jobs.

Student drivers have greater access to educational resources, including libraries and after-school programs, which can improve academic performance. Traveling to study in quieter areas or to a simple bookstore will improve school performance. With cars, accessing any of these places in Omaha would be easier.

Driving allows students to participate in social activities, fostering friendships and emotional well-being. Joy riding may be one of the most fun I’ve ever had with friends. Getting a group to go on a short hang-out or a whole road trip across the country is an opportunity unlocked by a driving license and a car.

A team of researchers from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia found that new drivers licensed before becoming adults were less likely to crash. Many states have implemented graduated licensing programs that ease students into driving independently, with strict supervision at first and gradual relaxation of restrictions. High school students may appear to be road hazards, but with new programs, they are becoming more and more ready to enter the road. Everyone starts somewhere.

Encouraging student driving can boost the automotive industry, leading to increased sales of vehicles and related services. The demand for driving instructors, automotive technicians and associated professionals increases with more students entering driver’s education programs. Not just economically, parents want their kids to be as safe as possible. This forces competition between brands to create the safest automobile for students with increased safety across the board.

In rural areas with limited public transportation, student driving is essential for access to jobs, education and healthcare. Where there is some urgent matter or if someone’s running late for school, public transportation will not bend to one person and shouldn’t have to. Driving efficiently fixes this issue.

Encouraging student driving can instill values of responsible car ownership, including maintenance and environmental consciousness. Owning and driving a vehicle promotes civic responsibility, requiring compliance with traffic laws and regulations. Learning traffic laws is usually the beginning of law awareness among students.

Student drivers often engage in entrepreneurial activities, such as ride-sharing or food delivery, which can provide valuable business experience. Whole new opportunities arise from owning and operating vehicles for students. This could interest students in fields like car design, modding or being a mechanic.

The freedom to drive can improve mental health, reducing isolation and promoting a sense of autonomy according to an article from the National Institute of Health. Family road trips and outings can strengthen familial bonds, providing opportunities for shared experiences. Next time a road trip occurs, the high schooler could take control of the wheel while the parents rest. Learning to drive responsibly contributes to developing responsible citizens aware of their roles in the community.

While concerns about safety and environmental impact should not be dismissed, it is essential to recognize the numerous benefits of encouraging student driving. With proper training, oversight and support, young drivers can become responsible motorists who contribute positively to society while enjoying the many advantages of personal mobility.