Wildcats pounce on the Bulldogs for second straight year

Millard West takes care of Burke in a week three victory
Delaney Lueck
Seniors Bobby Joseph and Jackson Williams jump for joy as Williams crosses the goal line. This touchdown by Williams contributed to the monster win over Burke , with a final score of 48-7. ”I knew I was due for a punt or kick return, I just didn’t know when it was gonna come.” Williams said. ”I also should be thanking the boys up front for great blocking, and putting their bodies on the line.”

After witnessing the madness that took place last week at Nile Kinnick Stadium, the Wildcats look to keep the wheels churning with another win. The Wildcats walk into a Week 3 matchup versus an underwhelming Burke squad.

Last week, very high expectations were set for the Cats after being placed into the top five for teams in Class A. An electric win over a highly rated Omaha North Vikings team put the state on notice for what the Wildcats were capable of going forward the rest of the season. After dropping the first two games to Bellevue West and Gretna, the Burke Bulldogs look to pull off the upset at Buell in a ‘’Thursday Night Lights’’ contest.

The Wildcats came firing out the gate putting up 24 points in the first quarter. The first score came from senior wide receiver Jackson Williams. Williams displayed his quickness and elusiveness with a clean route originally stemming from a nicely placed ball from senior quarterback Brody Peterson. The next attack came from senior running back Bobby Joseph on a 20-yard run to make it 14-0.

‘’We walked into this game with a lot of confidence and determination,’’ Joseph said. ‘’Last week’s win really gave us something that our team needed, that being the belief we can compete with anybody we step on the field with. After I scored my touchdown, I sort of knew we had this in the bag, but I couldn’t let a blowout win change the way we’ll play coming next week.’’

A sloppy first half by Burke and a blazing one by Millard West was the recipe for a Wildcat win. The Bulldog defense couldn’t stop a high-powered Wildcat offense, with almost every Millard West drive resulting in a score. Burke’s mistakes kept piling on one another whether it was a muffed punt or a fumble. 

‘’We played a really clean game tonight, defense and offense included,’’ Peterson said. : ‘’Everything was working in our favor whether it was a nicely executed play, or a three and out by our defense. Games like these are good for myself and the team because we can experiment with new things within the offense, in a game-like scenario, that we can use in the coming weeks in the heart of our schedule. Overall, I had a lot of fun this game, and I’m excited to see Prep next Friday.’’

By the time the game reached the middle of the third quarter, the Wildcats put the game out of reach with a current score of 41-0. The large lead meant that we could catch a glimpse of players we don’t get to see often like senior Cameron Unrau and junior Jake Blackman. Both players laid down an assault on the ground, with Blackman having a rushing touchdown, and Unrau moving the chains for the Cats around midfield. As the clock hit 00:00, the final score read 48-7, Wildcats.

‘’It’s always a good time up in the box whenever the Cats are winning,’’ senior commentator Logan Mosely said. : ‘’Millard West looked great tonight on both sides of the ball, the offense was given a short field for most of the game which made it easy to score, and the defense held their ground for all four quarters, with most if not all starters being done by the start of the fourth quarter.’’ 

Overall, this landslide victory has put the Wildcats in the win column for the second consecutive week, and they’ll look to do it again next week against a competitive Creighton Prep squad at 7 p.m. at Buell Stadium.