Bulldogs Roll Over Wildcats

Millard West suffers first defeat of young season


Annaliese Punt

Senior Matthew Huser ready to attack against Lincoln Southwest a season ago.

Nathan Thomas, Staff Writer

The top ranked Burke Bulldogs defeated the Millard West Wildcats by a score of 31-14 on a breezy and beautiful Friday night at Burke Stadium.

The game was heavily contested by both sides, but the Burke defense was able to stifle an offense that put up 35 points just a week ago.

The Wildcats took the ball to start the game and had to call a timeout due to substitution issues before the second snap. It seemed very odd, and that was how the night would go for the fifth ranked team in Class A.

After a few great plays though, senior Jackson Wright coughed up the football, which would only be the beginning in a game that saw multiple fumbles for each team.

The Bulldogs were unable to do anything but pick up multiple penalties, and punted the ball back away to the Wildcats, but the series saw another turnover, and this one would be detrimental to the visitors.

After a few plays, senior quarterback Tyler Chadwick was able to connect with junior receiver Xavier Watts in the endzone, who made an acrobatic catch to stay in bounds, to put up the first points of the game.

Millard West would show that after a few turnovers, they were to stay in this game. They put together a well worked drive taking around four minutes off the clock. They were unable to convert a third down, but junior receiver Dalys Beanum was found wide open on fourth down, and was able to score from around 30 yards out to even up the score with 2:31 left in the first quarter.

Burke would respond with a big drive. Senior running back James Burks took a screen pass 42 on third down to flip the field and pick up a big first down. A few plays later the Wildcats thought they came up with a huge stop on a 4th and 1, but Burks was able to fight for the extra yard and move the chains again. He was able to get the ball into the endzone to ensure the Bulldogs were in the lead again, where it would stay the rest of the game.

The Burke defense, lead by senior linebacker Nick Henrich, would control the rest of the game, forcing the Wildcats to give the ball right back over after receiving it.

And the Bulldogs would not go away, as they put together an 80 yard drive in just under three minutes to take a 21-7 lead into halftime. The Wildcats decided to take a pair of kneels with :50 and two timeouts left, instead of trying to cut the deficit before kicking off to start the second half.
The second half was not as entertaining as the first, as both teams were forced to punt on their first possessions, but Millard West was able to break through the wall and block a punt, setting up shop on the opponent’s 16 yard line half way through the third.

The Wildcat offense was met by the stonewall defense that Burke had for most of the night, and were unable to get the ball into the endzone. Senior kicker Sam Fedde attempted a 27 yard field goal, but senior Chris Hickman was able to get his hand in to block it, before Henrich picked the ball up and ran for 53 yards.

Millard West defense stood tall, holding the Burke offense to a field goal, after they moved the ball to the three yard line, making the score 24-7 late in the third.

And it would not stop there, as Burke junior running back Jaylon Roussell was able to scamper for long plays of 50 and 15 yards before the defense stood its ground inside the five. On fourth down, Henrich caught a pass, but fumbled, and the Wildcats were able to recover.

And after Millard West sent off yet another punt, the defense gave up another touchdown to give Burke a 31-7 lead with just under five minutes to go in the game.

Millard West junior quarterback Tristan Gomes was able to put a drive together in the dying minutes, but it was only a consolation prize, when he took the ball in from a few yards out. The final score ended 31-14 in favor of the top ranked Burke Bulldogs.

Millard West continues their season on Thursday, September 6th against Omaha North at Buell stadium, in their first true home game of the season.