Snapchat Review

Majority of users find disgust in the new update

Hannah Olafson, Staff Writer

Snapchat is the future of social media, but after a completely new layout, people are not so impressed.

Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy and Reggie Brown created the app to encourage people to live in the moment, making it easier than ever to share pictures and videos for all their friends. With Snapchat you can also send messages and images directly to specific people instead of an entire group of people. However, people now are hating on the app more than ever before.

According to Business Insider, Spiegel enjoys the new update. He said he has never been so attached to the app and feels everyone will love it as much as he does once the users get used to it.

On Jan. 9 2018, the creators released a brand new update that sent other social media ablaze in criticism. They got backlash from mainly celebrities, most specifically, its most influential user: Kylie Jenner.

“So does anyone else not open snap anymore? Or is it just me… ugh this is so sad.” Jenner tweeted on Feb. 21.

Snapchat stocks decreased six percent of their stocks after she tweeted this, which  lost them 1.3 billion dollars. 1.2 million people also signed a petition on change.org for Snapchat to be changed back to its original version. However, it will never be put back to the way it was.

John Legend’s wife, Chrissy Teigen, also tweeted her opinion about the new Snapchat  as well, asking how many people have to hate an update for it to be reconsidered?

Junior Cole Filer used to be one who was constantly posting videos and pictures for all his friends to laugh at.

“Snapchat is now busy and in the user’s face,” Filer said. “It’s as if the creators wanted you to get lost in the app itself. It’s also insanely hard to navigate.”

People who users Snapchat on a normal basis could be way down at the bottom of the friend’s page as opposed to up at the top where it should be. This makes it harder for users to find the thread of the people they were talking to.

Also, news sources people are subscribed to are on a different page instead of under everyone’s stories. This really frustrates me because I never look at what’s happening in the news nor do I scroll over to that side of the app anymore.

Plus, Snapchat has moved celebrities stories to the opposite side of where everyone else’s stories are, with the news. Celebrities stories aren’t news.  In turn, people aren’t able to keep up with their favorite Kardashians as easily. The only aspect of the app that did not change at all, is the Snapchat map, where you can see where everyone is and what they are doing.

As for now, the new Snapchat is here to stay and all I can do, along with thousands of other people, is hope the next redesign will accomplish what this one couldn’t.

Hannah Olafson, Staff Writer
This is Hannah’s first year in journalism. She took intro to journalism as a sophomore and loved it, one of her stories was chosen to be in the yearbook. She enjoys photography and giving interviews. She was involved in throwing for track, but has since had to quit due to a series of knee injuries....