Red hot start for the Big Red

The 7-0 start for the Cornhuskers
Nebraska plays their first non-home game at a neutral site against the Oregon State Beavers, at the Pentagon in Sioux Falls, SD. They Dominate the game and take the victory 84-63.

Nebraska basketball returns after finishing 16-16 in 2022-2023 with many new players and the loss of a few key players. Nebraska had many ups and downs during the season but ultimately didn’t make it to the March Madness postseason tournament. 

Nebraska lost seven players from last season including Emmanuel Bandoumel, Sam Greisel, and Derrick Walker from graduating, and lost Wilhelm Breidenbach, Denim Dawson, Oleg Kojentes, and Quaran Mcpherson to the transfer portal. Although they lost a lot of key players they got five players from the transfer portal including Brice Williams from Charlotte, Ahron Ulis from Iowa, Jarron Coleman from Ball State, Rienk Mast from Bradley, and Josiah Allick from New Mexico. Nebraska also gained two players from high school including Eli Rice from IMG Academy and Matar Diop from Keystone Athletic Academy.

Nebraska started the year against Lindenwood University led by senior Keenon Cole. Nebraska jumped out to an early lead and went into the halftime break leading 51-24. They kept up the same energy in the second half and ended the game with a 32-point win. Nebraska had five different players scoring double digits and were led by Sam Hoiberg with 15 points. The Lindenwood Lions had two players in double digits and were led by their senior star, Keenon Cole with 14 points.

Nebraska then played against Florida A&M led by freshman K’Jei Parker. Nebraska again grabbed an early lead, and led at halftime 41-25 behind a very good half from Rienk Mast and Brice Williams. Maintaining a large lead the whole game, Nebraska had another 25+ point victory after winning 81-54. Florida A&M was led by Parker who finished with 13 points. Almost everyone on Nebraska got on the scoreboard with points but were ultimately led by Rienk Mast with his first double double of the year, finishing with 20 points and 16 rebounds.

In the third game of the year, Nebraska took on the Rider Broncos, who were led by senior forward Mervin James, in the first game of the Cornhusker Classic. The highly anticipated return of senior guard Keisei Tominaga also took place this game, after an ankle injury in their preseason game. Nebraska struggled early in this game to get going but eventually found a rhythm at the end of the half to get a 9 point lead. Nebraska maintained their lead in the second half, and ended up with a victory 64-50. The Broncos were led in points by senior guard Corey Mckeithan with 18 points. Cj Wilcher led the huskers with 13 points off the bench, and in his return to the hardwood Tominaga finished with 9 points.

In the second game of the Cornhusker Classic the Huskers took on the Stony Brook Seawolves. Nebraska maintained a narrow lead throughout the first half and led at the break by eight points. The Cornhuskers turned it on in the second half and had their third 20+ point win in four games, taking the victory 84-63. Nebraska was led in scoring by Juwan Gary with 19 and Brice Williams with 17.

The Cornhuskers traveled to Sioux Falls, SD to take on the Oregon State Beavers at the Pentagon. Oregon State came into the game led by Sophomore guard Jordan Pope. Nebraska started out losing 9-0 then took over the game and led at half by 20 points, 44-24. They maintained their lead and ultimately ended up winning the game by 21 points, 84-63, behind Brice Williams 25 points, as well as Rienk Mast and Juwan Gary double doubles. Oregon State couldn’t get anything going outside of Jordan Pope’s 25 points.

In the third and final game of the Cornhusker Classic, Nebraska took on the Duquesne Dukes for their toughest matchup up to this point. The game was very close for the whole first half with free throws from Dae Dae Grant, with the Dukes leading the game at half 39-37. Nebraska came back in the second half firing and got hot from the field. Nebraska finished the game with a 10 point win 89-79, with big games from Keisei Tominaga and Juwan Gary with 23 points and 20 points.

Coming into their seventh game with a 6-0 record Nebraska wanted to keep up their undefeated streak against Cal State Fullerton. They were cold from the field to start this game but heated up a little going into the halftime break, leading 47-36. Nebraska maintained their 10 point lead throughout most of the game, and ended up winning 85-72. The Titans were easily led in points by star guard Max Jones with 30 points at the end of the game, but proved to not be enough to beat the red hot Huskers, who were led by Rienk Mast with 19 points and had five players reaching double digit points.

The Huskers have started red hot this season achieving a 7-0 record for the first time since the 1992-1993 season. They looked to continue this streak in their upcoming games.