Valak is back

A petrifying sequel to “The Nun” comes to theaters
 Released in September of 2023, “The Nun 2” was a sequel and a great continuation to “The Nun.”
Sam Blecha

After a long-awaited five years since “The Nun” was released, the sequel came to the big screen leaving the audience terrified yet again. Just as Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga) thought the terror and haunting was over, Valak (Bonnie Aarons) returns to reign terror.

Released in September of 2023, “The Conjuring” series’s latest film “The Nun 2” leaves the audience alarmed and on the edge of their seats. The story follows Sister Irene four years after the events of the first nun movie.

(Warning: spoilers ahead)

The movie is set in 1956 and it starts with a scene of Sister Irene as she is in great spirits and has recovered from the events that had left her traumatized. The scene shows her overhearing some of her nun sisters telling the story about what happened in Romania years before and then she regains all of the memory of that day. 

What happened on the day that left Sister Irene traumatized was that she had heard about priests taking their own lives in Romania and she was tasked to figure out what was going on. She had to confront an evil spirit and force in the form of a demonic nun and risked her life for her religion and faith 

Present day, a random visitor comes to tell her some horrific news. The visitor tells her that there have been a lot of killings of priests and nuns that seem to have started in Romania again. That is where her confrontation with Valak, a demonic nun, was. Hearing all of this, she fears that when she was in Romania, the evil didn’t leave and it had stayed there. 

Sister Irene now believes that it is her job to find out what is connecting all of these killings and where they are headed next. She is also extremely concerned that she is connected to all of the killings. 

As Sister Irene is getting ready to go find out why these killings are happening, her sister, Sister Debra (Storm Reid), comes along with her. They go to a boarding school and Sister Irene finds out that Maurice (Jonas Bloquet) is employed there. Maurice saved her when the events that happened in the first “The Nun” movie happened. 

“The Nun 2” was a perfect sequel to the first nun movie. This movie took characterization and character development to a whole different level. 

In the first movie, you don’t learn too much about the characters’ backgrounds and you don’t understand them that much. But the second movie goes into more detail about the characters and makes you understand them more. This was one of the biggest improvements for me from the first movie since it helps you relate to the characters.

Overall, I thought that this was one of the best movies in the Conjuring series solely because of there being action all throughout the movie and because of the jump scares. The jump scares were hard to predict and I never knew when they were coming. I loved this about the movie because I like being scared and it always had me on the edge of my seat. 

4/5