Taking State

Continued wrestling dominance

Photo Courtesy of Millard West Athletics

Junior Noah Blair enters the mat to wrestle. Blair had won the A182 State Championship the year before and was getting ready to do the same again. “I prepare for State the same way I do any other tournament,” Blair said. “It’s more than just what you do on the mat, it’s eating habits, sleep schedule, recovery, et cetera.”

Nathan Delaney, Staff Reporter

With wrestling season winding down around the nation Millard West finds themselves with one state championship wrestler on their team, junior Noah Blair. 

Noah Blair started wrestling when he was in fifth grade and has never backed down. He has developed his own unique style of wrestling to play to his strengths and does not allow his opponent to gain any grown.

“My style is always on the offense,” Blair said. “I love going out there and attacking right away.”

He takes his training and preparation very seriously and uses it to help him excel in competition.

“What makes me passionate is that what you get out of wrestling comes down to what you give,” Blair said. “The ability to always improve keeps me excited and constantly rejuvenated to get better.”

He loves pushing himself to be at the top of his game and believes you get out is what you give in.

“What makes me passionate is that what you get out of wrestling comes down to what you give,” Blair said. “The ability to always improve keeps me excited and constantly rejuvenated to get better. I feel pride in winning for not just me, but also Millard West and my circle. However, I am never satisfied and it is back to work.”

Blair also finds time to help push his teammates and is a leader on the team. He has found all his success wrestling in the 182 weight class.

“Having Noah in the room provides us with leadership,” head coach Scott Townsley said.  “The younger guys can look up to him and know they have a role model who has been at the top of the podium.”

He got started freshman year and immediately made a name for himself by placing third place at State. Then Sophomore year he went all the way and won the individual state championship. Junior year he ran it back and took another state championship. Next year we will see if he can win a third state championship. 

“Noah is a great young man,” Townsley said. “He is hard working, dedicated, and has a passion for getting better every single day.  I have enjoyed working with him the last three years and will really cherish his last year.”

Noah Blair is undecided on his future college. However, he plans to announce his commitment soon.