A warmer winter

Senior Class Board collects winter clothes to donate to people in need

Photo courtesy of Kelsey Nunnenkamp

Kelsey Nunnenkamp, Skylar Ostronic, and Kali Oleson collect donations for the Winter Clothing Drive.

Ariana Griffin, Catalyst Online Editor-in-Chief

The Senior Class Board tries to do an event together twice a month throughout the school year. The event they put together for the end of this semester was the Winter Clothing Drive. Students could donate new or gently used winter clothes such as hats, gloves, and scarves to an organization called “A Warmer Day.” They only do volunteer events twice a year.

“A Warmer Day’s” mission is to keep Nebraskans warm during the winter months. They say that some families struggle with bills and providing for their families. They would provide groceries before buying new coats. This charity helps those families be able to keep warm.

We wanted to do a coat drive because there are so many families throughout the city of Omaha struggling to afford warmth throughout the brutal winters,” senior Kelsey Nunnenkamp said. “This time of year can get pretty busy for everyone, but it’s still very important that we continue to give back throughout the Holiday season to those who are less fortunate.”

The Senior Class board collected many donations for “A Warmer Day.” In all they collected 79 coats, 29 scarves, 57 hats, and 94 pairs of gloves. (Photo courtesy of Kelsey Nunnenkamp)

Donation time was available in the commons before school, during flextime, and during lunch. Students received a candy cane in exchange for a donation. The Senior Class Board ended up collecting 79 coats, 29 scarves, 57 hats, and 94 pairs of gloves. 

“We were really grateful students and staff took this opportunity to give back to our community, and we are SO happy that we got so many donations!” senior Skylar Ostronic said.

“It’s really nice seeing a group of seniors that are interested in giving back and helping others regardless of what charity it is,” senior class board sponsor Mark Hilburn said. “They enjoyed taking the donations and dropping them off because they could actually see how this was going to impact people.”

Thanks to the Senior Class Board, many Nebraskan citizens won’t have to worry about keeping their families warm this winter. Giving back to the community is important and seniors knew that ending this year with such a big impact.