West keeps winning

The Wildcats put down Discoverers

The first half of the game was slower paced for the Wildcats. Many of the players recognized this and immediately changed their game play. “At halftime we talked about trying to apply more pressure,” coach Marc Kruger said. “We tried to speed up the pace of the game and we needed to do a better job of rebounding the ball on both ends.”

David Rochford

Garrett Wilcoxen, Staff Reporter

After five straight wins against difficult schools, the Millard West girls basketball team took on the Columbus Discoverers. This game took place on Saturday, Feb. 19, and continued the win streak.

The Wildcats started the game with a three point shot by freshman Norah Gessert. This led to another shot behind the arc, where Columbus was able to answer back. Following this, freshman Neleigh Gessert knocked down another three to give Millard West a three point lead. The Wildcats then were able to score two more times to start the night with 10 points. Through this, they let up five more Discoverer points to take only a two point lead. Nearing the end of the quarter, the Wildcats scored three more points and gave up another Columbus shot inside the arc.

“Going into the game we were feeling pretty confident and knew that we needed to just win the game and hold our place for districts,” junior Grace Kelley said. “On defense we need to execute our fundamentals and communicate on screens so that we don’t get caught behind.”

The score was 13-11 going into the second quarter with Millard West on top. At the very start of the quarter, junior Elizabeth Hoffman stole the ball and gained the Wildcats more offensive momentum. They were able to go on a seven point run with Neleigh Gessert knocking down yet another three. Although the Wildcats delivered offensively, their defense still needed work. They let up seven points to their 10, only growing their lead to five points.

“Going into halftime we weren’t playing our best and we needed to step up to win the game,” Gessert said. “Our goal was to stay in man defense the entire time along with picking up the effort.”

Coming out of halftime, Neleigh Gessert made her third shot behind the arc of the night. This gave Millard West an eight point lead. At this point in the game, Neleigh Gessert had over one third of the Wildcats points. After her shot she got a block and a full court assist to keep the Wildcats in good positioning. At this point, there was little time left in the third, and the Wildcats had a six point lead.

“I felt that I was able to do well at scoring and passing the ball,” Gessert said. “We just needed to keep pushing the ball up the court and continue a fast paced game.”

Once again bringing the momentum for Millard West, Neleigh Gessert started off the fourth hot. She finished on another three, and soon after sophomore Taylor Hansen got another block for the Wildcats. Following this, Millard West was able to hold Columbus to six more points in the quarter, while scoring six more of their own. This was good enough defense to run the clock out, but if they were up against a tougher team, the lackadaisical defense would have come back to bite them.

“Entering the fourth quarter we were ahead but still frustrated on how we were playing,” coach Marc Kruger said. “We were able to finish and get the victory. It’s a good thing when you don’t play your best and still find a way to win.”

This was the last game of the regular season for the Millard West girls varsity team, before they head off to districts. They will only be losing one senior and will be finishing their regular season on a 14-8 record.