Incorporating diversity into the classroom

The growing resegregation of schools is an issue

School diversity inclusion and representation are crucial in education, in terms of student demographics, staffing and lessons. There are many educational benefits from introducing new thoughts on racial or cultural differences in the classroom.

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

Brielle Wilson, Staff Reporter

Over the past decade, schools have gradually become more ethnically diverse. However, many schools, including the Millard Public Schools district, still lack overall diversity.  This absence is a bigger issue than you may think.

The lack of diversity reflects a disturbing development in the U.S. today: the growing resegregation of American schools. The result is an education system that’s increasingly unequal. Large numbers of minority students are ghettoized in high-poverty schools. According to a 2009 report by the Civil Rights Project, the U.S. continues to move backward toward increasing minority segregation in highly unequal schools.

Ironically, while many schools are becoming more segregated, our society is becoming more diverse in terms of student enrollment. According to Western Governors University, 44% of students today are nonwhite. In order to prepare students for adulthood, it’s important for them to get along with and understand people of all races and ethnicities. When working and learning with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures present in the classroom, students gain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.  Diversity in schools has been proven to promote tolerance. As stated by The Washington Post, students in diverse settings exhibited less racial and ethnic prejudice than those who interacted mainly with those of similar backgrounds. Learning empathy, flexibility and how to work alongside people with different cultural backgrounds will prepare students to navigate an increasingly multicultural future. 

The shortage of minority teachers also contributes to the issue. A 2016 report by the Education Department shows that people of color are less likely to enroll in teacher preparation programs, less likely to graduate and less likely to be certified as teachers. Over the past few years, the gap between Black teachers and students has gotten much larger. According to Great Schools, people of color are less likely to go into and stay in teaching. Teachers of color end up leaving the profession for a number of reasons: being silenced, being a minority among colleagues, feeling powerless and being left out of conversations about legislation and policy. As a result, people of color fall away from teaching. 

Research shows that all students benefit from having teachers of color, yet more than 80% of teachers in the United States are white. However, researchers have found significant positive outcomes when Hispanic and Black students have teachers who match their race and ethnicity: better attendance, more positive attitudes and fewer suspensions. Teacher diversity can make a difference in students’ performance and their interest in school. As stated by a professor at American University, “representation matters for almost every educational outcome that can be thought of.” 

Students who attend diverse public schools learn more, exhibit less racial prejudice and report higher overall self-confidence. Not only do classrooms need to become more diverse, but lesson plans should be, too. Schools must ensure diversity exists on every level by ensuring diverse enrollment, integrating classrooms and implementing curricula that reflect the history and culture of students of all backgrounds. Teachers should include a diverse range of perspectives by introducing diverse authors and historical figures into teaching materials. Unfortunately, the fight for diversity in the curriculum remains an uphill battle.

If you’re an educator or aspiring educator, there are many things you can do to help create a more inclusive classroom. Use a variety of teaching strategies to fit each of your students’ needs. Create a space in which students can express their individuality in the classroom. And importantly, listen and communicate with your students to understand them.

As a student, it’s important to stay open-minded. Communicate with people of different ethnicities and races to educate yourself on different viewpoints. Doing these things will help promote diversity in the classroom.