Future and Uzi take a trip to Pluto

Two of the most renowned artists in hip hop collaborate for 16 track album

Lil Uzi Vert and Future have teased their collaboration album for a few months now, dubbing themselves with the nicknames “Pluto” for Future and “Baby Pluto” for Uzi. Future has been a part of Uzi’s career for a while, even featuring on Uzi’s second studio mixtape titled “The Perfect LUV Tape.”

Cover art for “Pluto x Baby Pluto”

Carson Fox, Staff Reporter

Philadelphia rapper Lil Uzi Vert has been vocal throughout 2020, dropping his sophomore studio album “Eternal Atake” in early March. After the album charted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, the deluxe version of the album, “Lil Uzi Vert vs The World 2,” was released the week after, boosting the album’s chart spot for multiple weeks to come. 

Uzi had teased more albums throughout the summer, including a collaborative effort with trap legend Future. After teasing the album for months, the duo finally released the album on November 13. 

The tape opens up with the intro track “Stripes Like Burberry.” It’s quite possibly the best, if not one of the best songs on the album. With a euphoric sample in the background of the beat from DJ Esco, Uzi’s singing over the beat as it leads into Future’s verse was able to set an incredible tone for the album. The spacey vibe continues into the following song, “Marni On Me.” It’s a solid, fun song, but it is quite obviously a freestyle between the two that was turned into a song, made sure by the consistent “I push the button” bars from both, followed by the constant “Marni on me” chorus.

“Sleeping On The Floor” comes next, feeling like a pure trap song that would come off of a Future album. It has a rugged beat and serves as a decent filler track for the album before the track “Real Baby Pluto.” It’s one of the other top tracks on the album, carried by Uzi’s hard verses and catchy hook, declaring himself the “real” baby pluto. 

“Million Dollar Play” comes next. It’s the first true fall off on the tape, with an obvious beat by Buddah Bless that sounds like a pure ripoff of Young Thug’s “Out West” beat. Plastic continued the repetitive trend. Future comes in somewhat off beat at the start, and just keeps the same repetitive flows along the same trap beats as he does on prior songs. A lot of the more trap-inspired songs sound like tracks that would sit as filler on a normal Future album. 

“That’s It” breaks the short cold streak, with an insane flow from Uzi and Future over a solid, slower beat. It feels like a song that these two can truly make together at their full potential, and most of the album should have sounded more like this. Future did more damage on the track, going absolutely crazy on his way to another great performance on his solo track “Rockstar Chainz.” Future shows off a lot of melodic tendencies and abilities on his solo song.

The same couldn’t be said about Uzi’s solo track, “Lullaby.” Uzi completely misses the beat on most of the track, absolutely ruining it with his flow throughout the song. He goes from many different subjects on the song, which is normal for Uzi, but it seemed way harder to follow on this track of his. It led into “She Never Been To Pluto.” It’s another repetitive track that I felt like I heard multiple times on this album, but Future was another bright spot with his catchy and killer verse on the song. 

“Off Dat” was another harder track by the two, with a faster beat and a consistent quick flow by the two. The repetitive chorus constantly saying “Gotta off dat” was the only downside of the song, which was once again held up by a great Future verse. One of the better songs was easily “I Don’t Wanna Break Up.” This was Uzi’s best hook on the album, where he truly displays the great singing ability of his that everyone knows he has always had. Future treats it like a song on his “HNDRXX” album from 2017, and mixes his grimey trap voice with raspy singing vocals on a melancholic song. 

The song following is titled “Bankroll.” Some Uzi fans might find it similar, as the melodic hook that sings “I woke up with a bankroll” is exactly the same as an older unreleased Uzi track from 2016 “Woke Up Thankful.” Either it was scrapped for later use on a song like this, or Uzi is paying homage to those who have cried for Uzi to bring back his 2016 style of music that helped energize one of the most prominent years of hip hop. The Outro song, “Moment of Clarity” is a great Outro, mainly due to Future’s incredible flow on a Gunna-inspired Wheezy beat. The Eastern Asia sounding chimes just make the beat come together perfectly behind the closing remarks from the Pluto Duo.

The album was a solid showing from Uzi and Future, but more so Future. If you removed Future from the album, the quality of it would truly drop drastically, which sucks for Uzi fans that seem to be left hanging with that 2016 music Uzi has promised for so long. Uzi gets a 3/10 on the album while Future gets an 8/10, and he’s able to hold the tape up enough to make it a 6/10 collab album overall. At the end of the day, Uzi still owes his fans what he has promised.