Wildcats Overwhelm Skyhawks Behind Young’s Strong Start

Craig Sullivan, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Millard West came in on a canceled senior night looking for a win and were able to shut down Skutt Catholic. Senior Easton Young allowed only two hits, one walk and struck out six over six strong innings. He was the winning pitcher for the Wildcats. Photo By Ashtin Young

Millard West beat down Skutt Catholic 5-0 with a strong offensive game and an impressive pitching performance from senior lefty Easton Young.

Young was rolling perfectly through three and a third innings before a baserunner reached first. He was matched up with Skyhawk junior Austin Oswald who did not allow a run until the 4th inning.

After three quick innings in the Omaha’s patented cold spring weather, Young was able to get out of trouble after two baserunners reached to keep the game tied at 0. That would change in the bottom half as Millard West was finally able to get on the board after senior Paul Hinton was hit home on a double by sophomore Max Anderson. Senior Brandon Zwiener would later hit an RBI groundout to plate Anderson and bring the score to 2-0 at the end of four.

After a scoreless top of the fifth, Oswald would get two quick outs to start the bottom half. Hits by seniors Brendan Tauber and Colby Gomes set the table for Hinton. He delivered, allowing Tauber to score and getting on base which put runners at the corners for Anderson. Anderson kept the rally going singeling in Gomes to extend the Wildcat advantage to 4-0. Finally, junior Jackson Wright hit another run in before the inning came to a close with Hinton trying to get to third and being caught in a rundown.

Oswald pitched five innings and let five runs come across, four earned, while giving up eight hits and walking four. He registered one strike out as he picked up the loss.

On the other hand, Young allowed only two hits, one walk and struck out six over six strong innings. He was the winning pitcher for the Wildcats.

To end the game, Skutt brought in junior Ryan Doble who pitched one inning allowing no runs while the Wildcats brought in junior Ryan David to close the game out.

Athletic Director Dr. Chris Loofe thinks the season is off to a strong start and that there is no ceiling for the team.

“Coach Steve Frey has developed a solid pitching staff and a lot of team speed to put pressure on our opponents,” Loofe said. “This team has the potential to compete for a State Championship.”

With the win, Millard West improved to 5-2 while the Skyhawks dropped to 3-3 with the loss. The Wildcats next game is Tuesday April 10th at Millard South which will be a rematch after the Patriots beat the Wildcats earlier in the season 6-4.