Opening doors into the future

Job shadowing sets students up for success
Leah Pickhinke
Student job shadowing provides different job exploration opportunities, abilities to network with professionals, capability to gain confidence in the work field and advancements to your skills.

In today’s evolving job market, the need for students to gain insights into their future careers has never been more crucial. While traditional classroom education remains, the benefits of student job shadowing are undeniable. This experience offers a glimpse into the real world of work, helping young minds to bridge the gap between theory and practice.

One of the primary advantages of student job shadowing is the opportunity for students to gain clarity about their career aspirations. Many students enter college with a vague idea of what they want to pursue, but job shadowing allows them to get hands on with various professions. As reported by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), students who engage in job shadowing are more likely to make informed decisions about their majors and future jobs because they get insight on multiple careers that might peak their interest.

The saying, “it’s not what you know, but who you know,” holds true in the professional world. Job shadowing provides students with the chance to communicate with industry professionals, potentially leading to mentorship or internship opportunities. These connections can be valuable when students eventually enter the job market. According to Division of Student Affairs, 85% of jobs are found through networking, making job shadowing a crucial networking tool. 

Beyond career exploration and networking, job shadowing also offers students the chance to develop essential workplace skills. Students witness firsthand the communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills required in the professional world. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics highlights that these soft skills are in demand by employers, making job shadowing a valuable asset for future employment. 

In a highly competitive job market, students need every advantage they can get. Job shadowing experiences on a resume showcases a motivated and proactive person. Career exploration is a commitment to personal and professional growth which can catch the eye of employers and can set applicants apart from their peers. 

Job shadowing may seem nerve-racking, but it will in turn boost students’ self-confidence for their future professional lives. By witnessing professionals in action, students gain a sense of accomplishment and a belief in their own potential. This increased confidence can help them excel academically and professionally, ultimately leading to better job prospects and career satisfaction.

Student job shadowing is not just an idea, it is a crucial step towards preparing youth for the complexities of the modern job market. Through career exploration, networking opportunities, skill development, resume enhancement and increased confidence, students stand to benefit immensely for their futures ahead.