Crêpes to cash

Juniors start business to fund overseas trip
Caden Lentz
With everything they need, juniors Caden Lentz and Casey Olson started their business, C+C Crêpes, this past summer. All the Crêpes are fresh and made on-site at each farmer’s market since the batter only lasts for 48 hours. “We would like to be able to sell more during the spring and fall,” Lentz said. “But because me and Casey are involved in many sports and other activities, we do the majority of our markets in the summer.”

A major part of senior year that many students look forward to for the entirety of the year is the Europe field trip, which happens the following summer. What many fail to realize is trips like this can easily exceed thousands of dollars.

For juniors Caden Lentz and Casey Olson, they had a more creative way of raising money, starting a business. C+C Crepes, a business selling various flavors and varieties of crepes, is sold at Farmers Markets around town, giving them a full year to raise money for the trip to Europe.

“This summer we spent time getting supplies, getting the correct permits, and coming up with recipes,” Lentz said. “Then we started going to farmers markets in July. Before every farmers market, me and Casey make a fresh batch of crêpe batter enough for 60-150 people depending on the market. We bring all of our batter and toppings with us and make all of our crêpes on-site. The batter consists of flour, salt, sugar, eggs, milk, and butter, but it doesn’t last for more than 48 hours so we make everything fresh for each market.”

On average, it’ll take about four hours to prep everything that is needed, including batter and toppings. Unfortunately, as the school year gets started, the bakers know their business needs to take a step back so they can fully focus on school and other activities.

“During the summer months, finding time to run the business is easier and we can be more active,” Olson said. “During the school year, however, both Caden and I’s activities ramp up and we won’t be as active in the business.”

This crêpe business wouldn’t be possible without their French teacher Sarah Karst, who inspired the two to start a business after a successful crêpe day last year.

“That crêpe day in class they asked me where I got my crêpe maker, how much I paid for it, how to make the batter, etc.,” Karst said. “At the end of school we then talked about it a lot – ideas, things they’d need, etc. That’s when they started a list so that was when I thought they were kind of serious. However, during the summer when I got the request on Instagram from C + C Crêpes was when my jaw really dropped and I was so excited for them.”

Lentz and Olson still have about nine months and a lot of farmer’s markets to raise money for the upcoming Europe trip. They’re going to need a lot more crêpe batter, and a lot more hungry customers. If this summer is any indication, they’re sure to reach their goal. You can contact their email at [email protected] and follow their Instagram at c.c_crêpes for more info.