Being more than just a teacher

Third semester Wildcat Connect Award is announced

Riley Kramolisch, Staff Reporter

Every semester our school chooses to honor a teacher who goes out of their way to form a connection with their students and others in the school. Throughout the school year, there are four winners, one every semester. Millard West honors these teachers with an award called the Wildcat Connect Award. The third-semester winner of the 2021-2022 school year was Kara Radtke, an English teacher. 

The Wildcat Connect Award was created to recognize the contributions of Millard West teachers that go above and beyond to enrich instruction with creative, engaging and meaningful approaches, make connections with students to close the learning gap and foster Wildcat Style and Pride. 

The criteria for the award is someone who demonstrates extraordinary effectiveness as a Millard West teacher, closing gaps between teaching and learning, supporting student success, having innovation in the course and curriculum design and the ability to inspire, guide and mentor students through independent and creative thinking. Not only does the recipient have to be a mentor to their students, but also to their fellow teachers. They serve as a mentor, collaborator and many more to their peers.

“I think that everyone’s been struggling this year, students, admin teachers as well,” Radtke said. “Being recognized for something that I feel like I do well just kind of makes getting through the end of the year special and kind of easier.”

Students are the ones who nominate the teacher that they feel demonstrates the criteria of the award given. Then after the students submit their responses there is a panel of teachers that make the final decision on who they feel should be that semester’s winner. Junior Alexandria Arrick has the honor to be a part of Radtke’s fourth block class and be coached by her on the soccer field.

“On Fridays, we’ll have what’s called real talk with Radtke where she’ll sit there and give us advice and just treat us more as a person rather than a student in her class,” Arrick said. “She has a humor and sarcasm that is welcoming but also makes you enjoy her class and feel safe and she brings her coaching style to the classroom to help bond with her students.”

Not only Radtke’s students notice her dedication to her teaching and her relationships, but her coworkers and friends do also. English teacher Delanie Shult gets to see Radtke interact with her students every day and notices the time and care she gives to her students.

“I think that she tries really hard to make connections with every single student that comes into her classroom,” Shult said. “She is friendly, she is open and she creates a really safe environment for them to learn in and so that helps just connect in general.”

Giving away this award pushes other teachers to want to form a connection with their students. Millard West will carry on this tradition to try and get their students to engage with their teachers so that they feel they are safe and have people that they trust in their lives. By honoring teachers it lets them know that in these tough times their best is good enough.