Batter up

Millard West takes down Papillion-LaVista South

Phot credit to Cheryl Kramolisch

Senior Bella Bacon is ready to get the 2nd out in the first inning for Millard West in their first game in the Papillion La-Vista South Tournament. These girls go on to place third in this tournament leaving them with a 8-4 record so far in this season. “I felt ready to get the job done,” Bacon said. “We had a game plan to attack when we needed to.”

Brooke Sliva, Social Media Manager

On Sept. 3, the Millard West Varsity softball team placed third in the Papillion-LaVista Tournament, with a final score of 7-1 in their first game against Papillion-LaVista South Titans.        

Starting the game off, the Wildcats took the field with senior Emma Van Boskirk behind home plate and freshman Caitlyn Semple in the circle. Semple allowed four hits and one run with three strikeouts over five innings, which led Millard West to a victory. 

“I was excited for this game because I hadn’t pitched against Papio South,” Semple said. “My thought going into this game was to pitch well so I could step up for my team.”

In the bottom of the second inning, the game was tied at 1. Senior Riley Kramolisch hit a single on a 2-1 count which scored one run. 

“I went up to the plate knowing that we had a runner at second and she needed to score,” Kramolisch said. “My goal was to hit the ball to the right side of the field and in the gap so the runner Kaitlyn Fisher could make it home and tie up the game. I hit the ball to right center field and scored the runner. When I got to the plate I felt like I needed to step up being a senior and get something started for us in that inning and put us back in the game.”

During the third inning Millard West got a huge lead, scoring six runs. Senior Bella Bacon smacked a double to left field on a 1-0 count, which scored one run. Papillion La-Vista South made an error which caused Millard West to score another run, and sophomore Kaitlyn Fisher’s sac fly scored one more run for West. Freshman Macie Wyman and senior Ava Rongisch both doubled, scoring together three runs making the game 7-1. 

Papillion-LaVista South’s pitcher junior Mariah Unversagt allowed seven runs. She struck out two during the four innings she pitched. Papillion-LaVista Titans battled with four hits in this game. Junior Laila Fiscus and Senior Addyson Buhman pulled through the game with each having two hits.

At the end of the game, the wildcats ended with a total of nine hits. Millard West played like we have never seen before in the field and committed to every play with no errors the entire game. 

“We were playing very well,” coach Don Brummer said. “I was very confident in our chances for a victory. Our seniors have been outstanding. Their leadership will be crucial for our push to the postseason. The chemistry this team has created is nothing like I’ve seen before.”

Wildcats will be back in action on Sept. 10th at 2 p.m against Papillion. This team has had a major improvement compared to last year’s 15-15 record and they hope to see themselves in Hastings, Nebraska for the 2021 Class A State Softball tournament.