Pandemic Parties

The risk of large gatherings during COVID-19

infographic by Annabelle Harshbarger

This infographic talks about ways to safely throw a party during a pandemic.

Annabelle Harshbarger, Staff Reporter

Barbeques, family gatherings and parties are all things people took for granted before the coronavirus hit the U.S in March. Although it has been a long six months of social distancing, masks and lockdowns that does not mean we can go back to the way we used to celebrate before the pandemic. 

Social distancing is a very important part of life now that we all need to take very seriously. This includes trying to keep a six-foot distance from others, wearing a mask  and avoiding large groups of people. The CDC says that gatherings, where people are at the highest risk of contracting coronavirus, are large in-person indoor gatherings where people cannot maintain a six-foot distance from each other. Gatherings like house parties are an extremely high-risk environment yet people still insist on attending them.

It’s not a very hard concept to understand: the fewer people you expose yourself to the less chance you have of contracting COVID-19, yet some people just cannot take it seriously. Personally, I have seen many other high school students gathering in large groups and partying with no masks or social distancing. By doing these students are putting their peers and everyone around them at risk. When students choose to attend a party they are choosing to be selfish and throw all social distancing guidelines out the door. Considering someone with the virus can appear perfectly healthy it is even more important to not gather in large groups.

High school parties can be very hard for the school to police considering they do not happen on campus. Colleges however are combating the issue by asking students to “snitch” on their peers who they catch not following the social distancing guidelines put in place by the school. Colleges are also having students sign pledges to not gather in large groups on or off-campus. The consequences for partying can range from a suspension to being sent home. According to The Lantern, the student-ran Ohio State newspaper, over 200 students from Ohio State were caught at an off-campus party, were put on interim suspension and sent home. 

Coronavirus cases are still rising across the country. According to National Geographic, the U.S could soon surpass over 7 million cases. Yet some can still not take the coronavirus seriously. High school students need to understand the risk they take when they choose to attend parties. Everyone needs to be doing what they can to help slow the spread. By educating themselves and following local guidelines students are taking action into their own hands.